Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

My own Boominator (Mono)
My own Boominator (Mono)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2019, 10:19 AM   #11
horst303 is offline horst303  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
1) instead of a tweeter, a fullrange driver

A full range driver would sound like a tortured cat trying to keep up with a HP-10W, never mind two.
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:27 PM   #12
diegoAlm is offline diegoAlm
diyAudio Member

I prefer a 2-way speaker design to get better sound, should i order the two woofers and the APT:80 - Supertweeters | Eminence Speaker ? it will be enough Highs for the two woofers?
Old 23rd October 2019, 01:02 PM   #13
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horst303 View Post
A full range driver would sound like a tortured cat trying to keep up with a HP-10W, never mind two.
Ok
Never mind

( I'd asked: "...and which FR driver, If you mind telling us?" )
Old 23rd October 2019, 01:14 PM   #14
Turbowatch2 is offline Turbowatch2  Germany
diyAudio Member

I would not use the APT:80 as these speakers got a very narrow dispersion. If you stand near it, it is like drilling into your ears.
The APT:150 would be a little better, same price, dispersing the sound more in the horizontal plane.

PS you can use this one too: P-audio PHT-411

Last edited by Turbowatch2; 23rd October 2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 23rd October 2019, 01:33 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowatch2 View Post
I would not use the APT:80 as these speakers got a very narrow dispersion. If you stand near it, it is like drilling into your ears.
The APT:150 would be a little better, same price, dispersing the sound more in the horizontal plane.

PS you can use this one too: P-audio PHT-411
Yes, itīs a good idea. Thank you
Old 13th November 2019, 12:22 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I've decided to use Three xpl woofers instead of p-Audio hp10w because the have more SPL and are 4 ohm Woofer 10" XPL XW10-03 and i think that only one eminence apt150 would be little, what do you think?
Old 14th November 2019, 04:11 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Sorry, but 3 woofers do not work with 2-way, the idea was a W-T-W in horizontal order.
The third woofer will give cruel comb filter effect`s.
Also these woofers have Fs of 80 Hz, so no bass if you use moderate sized volume. 3x100 liter might be to big?
Old 14th November 2019, 11:48 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowatch2 View Post
Sorry, but 3 woofers do not work with 2-way, the idea was a W-T-W in horizontal order.
The third woofer will give cruel comb filter effect`s.
Also these woofers have Fs of 80 Hz, so no bass if you use moderate sized volume. 3x100 liter might be to big?
I think I can use three wofers because im going to use 4 litlle amps and a DSP to get the biggest SPL possible, one mono amp for each driver.
And I know that they have Fs of 80Hz but in the first post of the Boominator Saturnus said "Trying to go belong 100 Hz in free-field is nonsense if you keep the other design parameters in mind. It's better to have a good middle bass performance to compensate for the lack of real sub-bass."
Old 15th November 2019, 10:08 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi, my approach is always good sound quality first. SPL comes by it self, if you use the right drivers. The small horn is a compromise, just as the speakers are. So you have to use quite good woofer to have them perform at a very high frequency.
If you use a DSP, you can have very steep low and high cuts. Which makes it possible to max out the horn performance wise. If you want to use 3 woofer, you have to go 3-way. One woofer serves as a mid speaker too, while the others will just give lower bass.
If all 3 woofer perform in the same frequency range, some frequency will cancel out, giving strange results you can NOT correct with equalizing.
If you just want a loud noise making device, you will be better of to buy it ready made, as the industry knows better than you how to combine the cheapest parts.
The only sense in DIYS is to take carefully selected stuff and put it together right, to get a result that is much better than same price industry stuff.
Old 24th November 2019, 12:27 AM   #20
bitSmasher is offline bitSmasher  Australia
diyAudio Member

I think you need to read about the Boominator, and understand the design compromises to achieve its purpose...
My guess this will be used as an outdoor party speaker, so you can throw a lot of the "sound quality" rules to the wind (literally)

My own Boominator (Mono)Hide this!Advertise here!