Amplifier DIY kit recomendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.
Being a novice in this field, but very interested in exploring this type of amplifier more, I'm looking for some recommendations regarding a DIY project for an amplifier for my home stereo.
I'm not looking for a ton of power, my speakers are not very power-hungry, so I guess more than 150W/8 Ohms would not be needed.
Sound quality has to be good, and looking for something that will not break the bank.
I found this in another thread, but have no clue how it sounds, although specs look fine (they all do on paper I know :D ).
TPA3255-2CH-260W | 3e Audio Maybe powered by this: AliExpress (also found in another thread).

Anyone out there has some recommendations?

Hi Kjær-Larsen,

TPA3255 is one of the best chips. Not all implementations are equally well made but 3e-audio should be fine. A problem with 3e-audio is that they are sometimes not able to deliver. Some of the others know better how to buy at 3e-audio.

An alternative is an IRS2092 based amplifier. Such an amplifier will need a symmetrical power supply.
IcePower also has some but they are generally a bit more expensive.

Hi there and welcome.
Did you take a look in the diyaudio store, if you're up to a challenge the honey badger is a very nice amp by ostripper, meets your power demands and there's a lot of threads and help to get here.
Thomas

Looks like an interesting project, but I would like to check class D amplifiers out, so solely looking for this solution.
But thanks for your suggestion.

Hi Kjær-Larsen,

TPA3255 is one of the best chips. Not all implementations are equally well made but 3e-audio should be fine. A problem with 3e-audio is that they are sometimes not able to deliver. Some of the others know better how to buy at 3e-audio.

An alternative is an IRS2092 based amplifier. Such an amplifier will need a symmetrical power supply.
IcePower also has some but they are generally a bit more expensive.

Perhaps 3e-audio power supply is decent quality?
Would make an amplifier with sufficient power possible at a low cost :D

Perhaps 3e-audio power supply is decent quality?
Would make an amplifier with sufficient power possible at a low cost :D

Personally I have had no products from 3E-Audio. But, more skilled members express satisfaction with their products.
Often power supplies from "MeanWell" are used. They may need a bit of idle loading to avoid (intentional) low power burst operation but else it should be a reliable brand.

Hi

FF is an expert in SMPS.:wave2:
So i explain as a non expert ;)
An smps is a fast regulated power supply - the current/power demands push the supply and the trarget is to kkep the axact voltage at the output. sometimes if you switch your smps and amp on your can hear a beep tone - this is the idle loading curreent/load. this noise is very low. the smps is not really working in its best "perfomrance window" - its very low power requested...so do not care:)
if you listening - the needed power is rising -e.g. 1W - 10W --> now the beep is gone and the smps is working in its "regulation window"

chris

With idle loading I mean minimum loading. As you may know, SMPS have a minimum loading for their ordinary (continuous) modulation principle, often PWM. If you go below that loading, they enter a kind of burst operation or pulse skipping operation (intentional). Such low power operation can cause slight audible noise from the power supply itself. If the idle consumption of the amplifier is enough to avoid low power operation of the power supply, the noise problem is solved. Else, you add some kind of further loading to stay above low power operation.

More rain is coming your way.....

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I have the 3e 3255. Tried with a Meanwell 48v smps but I could hear the pwm from the psu even when playing music. I also disconnected the fan.

So I run it from a big toroid>rectifier>40k uF smoothing caps. 30v AC so about 42V DC. More on the table I guess nearer to 50v.

SQ is as good as i have heard in my room. Smallest amount of buzz through speakers with volume bypassed and no signal. Probably from the psu.

If you google search 3e audio and click the 'BUY' link from whichever product page it will direct you to their ebay page where hopefully you can purchase from your country. Or indeed from the link in your post above. Seems to be an Ebay thing where people have said they cannot buy, country dependant. Ok here in the UK. Really fast shipping too.

Raining here incessantly!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the inputs.
Just bit the bullet and ordered a 260W 3e 3255 amplifier, there were still a few on stock.
Now I just need to figure out which power supply to go with it. tempted by the Meanwell SMPS, which I can purchase here in DK, so not having to deal with customs and VAT. Should end up in a neat and small amp.
Guess it's just trying out and see how it goes.

Raining quite a lot here......

hi guys I have 2 x 3255 s
first one from Yuan Jing
next one i bought via the local Lazada in Malaysia, from China of course - it was so cheap. claimed to have Elna caps!
What came was the exact same thing i got from YJ - the dark blue board, exactly the sme caps and components . I think its the bog standard one out there !
I use a Meanwell 48V 600W PSU . The fan was loud so i disconnected it , use it with cover off. No isues . Both my 3255 s sound superb - i havnt tweaked anything .
I use one to drive a standard Yam NS1000
I use the other to drive the High Pass in a semi active modification of the NS1000.
It replaces a valve amp and really sounds 'just as nice'.
No probs with High Pass cause its driving efficient mids and tweets but i found that the 3255 struggles to drive the woofers (quite inefficient 4ohm 300W scanspeaks) so i maintain Nakamichi PA7 power amp for bass duties.
Was thinking of monoblok 3255 s but so far as i can see only 3e make them, but 3e dont ship to Malaysia :(
I am going to get the 48V 800W PSU from Aliexpress that XRK971 recommends

Often power supplies from "MeanWell" are used. They may need a bit of idle loading to avoid (intentional) low power burst operation but else it should be a reliable brand.
I use a Meanwell HRPG600-48 to feed my TI TPA3255EVM board. This PSU's datasheet doesn't specify a minimum load, and in fact there's no noise at all when the amplifier is idling. Even it's in-build fan appears to be temperature controlled and only speeds up at high load demands.
Best regards!

Hi Graham,

I have seen it before but not had one to test. I am a low power guy (says my wife). It may be able to go further down in loading without noise.
For some Meanwell, I remember having discussed in a thread why some Meanwell power supplies make audible noise at low loading. Even Meanwell admitted the problem and suggested a minimum loading in order to avoid burst mode.

Kay has experience with a type of Meanwell that does not make audible noise with a TPA3255 amplifier as load. That should provide a value-for-money solution. Reliability wise I have only heard that Meanwell should be good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.