Amplifier DIY kit recomendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think he is referring to C5-C8. I don't know enough about choosing coupling capacitors but from my recent questions on my 6 channel TPA3116 thread the conclusion was suggested that the effect of upgrading is minimal.

On this board it appears that there are coupling caps after the op amps as well before the chip. I wouldn't risk mucking about with the board!

I have just ordered the 3e 4x100w TPA3251 board, I wonder if I will have the same reflections on sound. It will be compared to my two Parasound Zamp V3 amps in a bi-amped DSP set up.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Maybe we start a 3e 3255/3251 improvements thread.

I have 3e 3255 2 channel and 3251 3 channel.

I was going to upgrade the big electrolytic caps...if only because it is easy to do!

I would be interested in any feasible improvements that can be made (not swapping smd op amps!)

Just got new capacitors for the amplifier. So this weekend I’m planning on replacing all capacitors around the op amps. Also the four big capacitors are going to be replaced.
Going to be interesting to hear the impact on sound.
Still going to try some tweaks before deciding on building a Hypex amplifier.

Bought Nichicon capacitors.
Going to replace the eight capacitors sitting before and after the op amps and also the four big ones.
Read about an American guy who replaced some of the capacitors in his SMPS, with apparently good results, so going to do that too.

Attachments

• F7214930-4A41-419D-B21A-1EF842E7F174.jpeg
    F7214930-4A41-419D-B21A-1EF842E7F174.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 356
Bought them here:
Nichicon ES Capacitors - Audiophonics

The space for the four big capacitors are a bit limited, so they are a bit cramped.
The sound has definitely changed. Whether it is better or worse still remains to be determined. My hearing currently suffers from the change in weather, believe it or not. But I do suffer from tinnitus on both ears, and they are quite sensitive to changes in weather.
I will get back with a more thorough verdict when my hearing is better.
My wife though is not impressed with the changes......

Last edited:
So, got to listen a bit more serious.
Low end has become even deeper and more tight, not something I really need, was more than good enough for my needs before the mod.
Midrange and high end has improved slightly, with a bit more transparency, but not easy to hear, so very minor.
If I where to choose, I would leave the amplifier as it was built from the supplier, and if you need something with better sound quality, it needs more drastic modifications beyond my current skills, or else, go look for something else.
Still a very very good amplifier for the money (around €200,- complete build cost).
That's my humble opinion.

Thanks for the update. I still haven't got round to setting up my tpa3251 4 channel 3e board and mean well. Lots of other projects!

I'd be interested to see how you mounted the caps, please.

I too have wondered what are the critical parts to replace on a 3e board to up its ante.

Finally got to finish my next build: a stereo ucd180 HG HxR with smps400 power supply.
Not as tidy as I would have liked it, but will be cleaned up when I change it to dual mono at some point. Used top quality components for connections and internal wiring.
And what can I say: First impression is absolutely amazing! Very neutral, with tons of headroom, very nice detailing throughout the whole frequency range. Still need to listen to more different music, but initial impression is very very promising.
Absolutely worth the money. This one is a keeper!

Attachments

• 61A3854E-FCD3-4C22-A564-8A72AB0D4F12.jpeg
    61A3854E-FCD3-4C22-A564-8A72AB0D4F12.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 247
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.