Pascal s-pro2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.
Just joined this forum, and already gained a lot of valuable information.
So, I’m looking at a Pascal s-pro2 module, and consider buying it in order to build a replacement amplifier for my rather sedated Rotel (+15 yrs old)
I’ve read a lot of good things about this module, but have a few questions.
Regarding input impedance. Is it an issue when using a common transistor preamp? Does anyone have any inputs about sound quality? Looking for a dynamic and transparent sound. It is intended to be used for my two front speakers for both listening to music, but also surround sound.

It is a low cost implementation of self oscillating amplification and flyback PFC, notable for being able to shave off so many parts from bill of materials while keeping useable audio output. Input requires a buffer op-amp that is not included in the circuit for cost, size and a few uV more of output noise. There is a series 100uF electrolytic at the input. It is not premium in the field of signal to noise ratio, there is substantial distorted cross-talk at moderate volume. The module itself makes substantial physical noise, particularly close to maximum power. Protections and limiting are rudimentary.

Last edited:
It is a low cost implementation of self oscillating amplification and flyback PFC, notable for being able to shave off so many parts from bill of materials while keeping useable audio output. Input requires a buffer op-amp that is not included in the circuit for cost, size and a few uV more of output noise. There is a series 100uF electrolytic at the input. It is not premium in the field of signal to noise ratio, there is substantial distorted cross-talk at moderate volume. The module itself makes substantial physical noise, particularly close to maximum power. Protections and limiting are rudimentary.

So bad huh? :eek:
My knowledge about class D amplifiers is quite limited, so I just saw it as an opportunity to get started. But do not want to compromise sound quality.
What then? Tripath modules? and which ones? Or are there any recommendations that won't break the bank?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.