Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Car Amplifier
Car Amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2019, 05:33 PM   #1
Bizarroterl is offline Bizarroterl  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Car Amplifier

I upgraded the sound system in my vehicle. Though the system sounds good, I've had it with the fan noise. The amplifiers have built in tiny fans that aren't temp controlled and the high frequency whine destroys any enjoyment I get from the otherwise good sound. So I'm thinking of replacing them.

I'll need 6 amplifiers in the 100W range and one in the 400W range (subwoofer).

I've heard good things about the Hypex amplifiers so I've been looking at them. The Ncore looks to be too expensive for my project though. I'm leaning towards the Ucd180HG HxR modules for the 6 lower output channels and one Ucd400HG HxR. They have some features I like -
Low profile which will fit where I'm putting them
Pop free start stop
HxR regulator which may be advisable in a vehicle.

Thoughts? Would the OEM Hypex modules be a better choice for this application? Perhaps other D Class modules?

FYI - for a PS I'm looking at this: 1500W 50A DC Boost Converter Step-up Power Supply Module IN 10.5-60V OUT 15-70V | eBay

I'm open to suggestions there also.
Old 19th September 2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Victorinox is offline Victorinox  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarroterl View Post
I upgraded the sound system in my vehicle. Though the system sounds good, I've had it with the fan noise. The amplifiers have built in tiny fans that aren't temp controlled and the high frequency whine destroys any enjoyment I get from the otherwise good sound. So I'm thinking of replacing them.

I'll need 6 amplifiers in the 100W range and one in the 400W range (subwoofer).

I've heard good things about the Hypex amplifiers so I've been looking at them. The Ncore looks to be too expensive for my project though. I'm leaning towards the Ucd180HG HxR modules for the 6 lower output channels and one Ucd400HG HxR. They have some features I like -

Low profile which will fit where I'm putting them

Pop free start stop

HxR regulator which may be advisable in a vehicle.

Thoughts? Would the OEM Hypex modules be a better choice for this application? Perhaps other D Class modules?

FYI - for a PS I'm looking at this: 1500W 50A DC Boost Converter Step-up Power Supply Module IN 10.5-60V OUT 15-70V | eBay

I'm open to suggestions there also.

Hypex modules required dual voltage PSU. I made UCD 180 based amplifiers before. Still have 2 power supplies for them. If interested send me PM.
Old 19th September 2019, 05:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

PS that will work for a car? 12-15V DC input?
Old 19th September 2019, 05:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarroterl View Post
PS that will work for a car? 12-15V DC input?

Exactly. 12-15 dc in -45-0-+45 out. Just like hypex ucd180 required. I still have one amplifier made that way I can show you on photos.
Old 19th September 2019, 05:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That would be great!

Does the PS have enough to power 6 modules? Realistic actual power usage would never get close to rated 180W.
Old 19th September 2019, 05:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Result was stunning good Ive had that amp I my vehicle for some time until I moved to more power.
Old 19th September 2019, 05:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Its 500 watt at 100% cycle. Plenty for 4 modules on music. 6 I never tried.
Old 19th September 2019, 06:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have 2 of them. Can post pictures once I get home from work today. I have 3 technically but one is used. Each about 4x4x1.3never gets hot to shutdown.
Old 19th September 2019, 08:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes. please post them up. Physical size is good also.
2 channels are rear fill thus would never be driven hard.

I've been doing a little more research and the UCD180HG HxR and the 400W version are looking very good. The IcePower250A looks good too, but the Hypex seems to be better focused for a DIY.
Old 19th September 2019, 08:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Did you use the HxR modules? Needed or not in a car environment?

Car AmplifierHide this!Advertise here!