Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Small heatsinks on Tpa3116d2
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2019, 03:39 PM   #1
digitaled is offline digitaled
diyAudio Member

Default Small heatsinks on Tpa3116d2

Hi friends

I am planning to buy this amplifier TPA3116d2 and I was wondering if these small heatsinks are sufficient enough on this amplifier.

I am planning to run 4 car speakers with one sub woofer from my Philip's hometheatre with this amp running on 12v.

Is it going to be ok with these little heatsinks or do I need to add any fan on top of it.

Please do suggest on this.
TIA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190919-210144_Banggood.jpg (497.4 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190919-210158_Banggood.jpg (782.5 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190919-210210_Banggood.jpg (849.3 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190919-210224_Banggood.jpg (663.3 KB, 152 views)
Old 19th September 2019, 06:08 PM   #2
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

Hi digitaled,
If you are going to use a 12V supply, the small heatsinks should be sufficient as such. My only concern is that the amplifier is enclosed in a plastic box. The heatsinks are not very efficient when enclosed like that. Eventually, drill some ventilation holes in the plastic below the board and above the heatsinks and use a low noise fan to draw air through the cabinet.
Do not use below 4 Ohm loading for the two stereo channels.
Old 20th September 2019, 01:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks much for the reply and I will be using a small fan either on the sides or from top to cool it down.

Another thing is that it says it's a 2.1 amp however the setup that I have is

2 front focal component speakers and
two basic factory fitted rear speakers
and woofer from my Philip's home theatre.

I have tried running these with a low cost and low power lepy 168 plus amplifier which has 4 outputs plus subwoofer output and they sound amazing.

But as this amp says its 2.1 is it fine to connect 2 speakers per channel on tpa3116d2. Would it overload the amp or it's going to be fine.
Old 20th September 2019, 07:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaled View Post

But as this amp says its 2.1 is it fine to connect 2 speakers per channel on tpa3116d2. Would it overload the amp or it's going to be fine.

The woofer goes evidently on the sub-output.

The problem is the 2 front speakers and the 2 rear speakers. Unless they are 6-8 Ohm, in which case you can connect a front speaker in parallel with a rear speaker (you get 3-4 ohm as result), you better connect them in series.
Old 20th September 2019, 08:16 AM   #5
googlyone is offline googlyone  Australia
diyAudio Member

The problem with almost all of these "2.1" class d amplifiers is that there IS a low pass on the subwoofer out, but there is NOT a highpass on the two channel out.

This really kills the whole point of having a sub, as your main speakers still need to handle all the bass.

I have checked about 6 different versions with consistently disappointing findings.
Old 20th September 2019, 09:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlyone View Post
The problem with almost all of these "2.1" class d amplifiers is that there IS a low pass on the subwoofer out, but there is NOT a highpass on the two channel out.

This really kills the whole point of having a sub, as your main speakers still need to handle all the bass.

I have checked about 6 different versions with consistently disappointing findings.
True, but isn't it also true that a sub-channel is not an attempt to make a system with electronic cross-over and multiple amplifiers? A sub-channel is a logical economy concept where the normal stereo plays at ordinary sound levels while the sub-channel adds some "kick" with a speaker that is suited to reproduce low frequencies. A "kick" that is important for modern music with a particularly dominant bas.
An electronic cross-over, multiple amplifiers and multiple individually driven speaker-drivers will always be a better solution.
Old 20th September 2019, 10:06 AM   #7
Turbowatch2 is offline Turbowatch2  Germany
diyAudio Member

Such "amazing" sounding car speakerīs used in HT are a huge disappointment if compared to even mid class speakers. The whole concept of a car speaker of high quality, like some Focals once where, can not work in a room larger than a cars interior. Compare sound in a convertible closed and open. Closed fine, but open?
I know, you canīt talk kidīs out off this nonsense. They do not want to know.

Just the same with sub woofers and running the satellites full range. For a well functioning ear the result is torture, far from the result possible with a frequency and load separation.
The 3116 is questionable as a sub amp, as it does not have a single watt more than the stereo channels. The promised 100 watt are at 24 volt supply with at least 5 ampere and a 2 ohm load while giving 10% distortion. With 12 volt and 4 ohms there are not even 12 watt rms left from the promise...
It is a Chinese misconception sold to unknowing and ignorant customers. Sad, but true.

PS to my knowledge there is one 3116 2.1 amp with a high pass. With the right speakers can give a nice, small system.

Found it: TPA3116 2.1 12-24V 50W+50W+100W Amplifier Board Digital Audio Super Bass Speaker 767775830347 | eBay

with Bluetooth: TPA3116 Subwoofer Amplifier Board 2.1 Channel HIFI Bluetooth AMP 2*50W+100W | eBay

Last edited by Turbowatch2; 20th September 2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 20th September 2019, 11:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Can you please tell me how do we connect in series.

I apologize if it sounds dumb but I am not an expert in audio.

Please do update on it.
Old 20th September 2019, 11:13 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I think I was not able to clearly explain.

What I meant was that I am not using these speakers in home theatre. The four speakers are in the car not in home but the subwoofer from Philips is what I am using in my car.

I had earlier a Pioneer subwoofer that was a big one but due to space limitation I no longer use that in my car.

So instead I tried using a woofer from my Philips home theatre which is smaller in size in my car using the Lepy amplifier and it was working great with it and now I was thinking of using this TPA amplifier
Old 20th September 2019, 11:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaled View Post
Can you please tell me how do we connect in series.

I apologize if it sounds dumb but I am not an expert in audio.

Please do update on it.
Speaker boxes normally have a red and a black wire or red and black terminals. Connect the red of one speaker to the black of the other speaker. Use the remaining free red and black for connection to an amplifier output.

Small heatsinks on Tpa3116d2Hide this!Advertise here!