Any recommendation towards Class D?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure if this is the right section to ask, but I am intending to get a class D amplifier.

I have zero technical knowledge. So first option would be to buy a prebuilt one.
Second option would be to get a schematic plan and the parts needed and ask a friend that knows how to at least read those schematic plans and that hopefully can help me put the parts together.

Requirements for the amplifier itself would be the following:
-USB/optical input (preferably the former)
-around 100w @4 ohm stereo
-cost should be around or below 200

So are there any reasonable priced ones around with decent build quality? Chinese ones or anything really works for me.
If not how feasible is it to build one myself within those requirements?

With a decend housing for all that stuff it gets hard to stay under 200 (Rupies or Pound Sterling?)

So first you need a case. Then the following components:

USB-DAC or a USB-SPdif interface and a DAC.
Stereo amp.
Power supply for Amp
and pre-stages.
Some kind of volume control in the analog or digital domain (with remote?).
All kinds of small parts, screws, wires, connectors, fuses.
The knowledge to separate cheap junk from price worthy components.
The experience and skill´s to connect all this to a working, not humming unit.
A few days of work.

Your only chance to get all this on a budget is to buy such a thing ready build.
I have seen some integrated amps from reputable brands that meet your criteria, used for around 200€. Look Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc.

Your best bet I reckon will be to buy boards and power supplies.

ClassD amp board which I'm using and recommend : IRS2092S ???250W D??????/??/???/??L15DSMD-???

You need two of these (as you want stereo).

You'll need two 48V PSUs : https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.9.620e3629JtQKnb&id=546216009197&cm_id=140105335569ed55e27b&abbucket=1

Lastly you'll need a case - something like this might do though I haven't checked the dimensions will accommodate everything : BRZHiFi -???? ????? ????????4315A-???

You can buy an S/PDIF DAC which will fit inside the case, then use an external USB-S/PDIF adapter to feed it. This seller lets you buy just the stuffed PCB (no case) : L1387DAC 8X ???TDA1387 Hifi??? ??TDA1541????-???

Thanks for the recommendation. So I assume I still need those small parts/volume control mentioned above? And this also sounds that there is basically nothing like this around as a finished product already if I want to stay in comparable price ranges? Because honestly if I just look at it I do not even know which wires and stuff I would even need to get.

And towards the suggestion about integrated amps from reputable brands, I would still want this to be class D. And only stuff on google I find is either: quality really looks questionable; really high price; parts like you described to build it yourself and very few tutorials on how to, but either outdated or to the point that I would need to understand these schematic diagrams or at least some more technical knowledge to know what I still need to get.

With a decend housing for all that stuff it gets hard to stay under 200 (Rupies or Pound Sterling?)

I use PC cases for my amplifiers.
They are very cheap compared to pro amplifier housings.
I gut the power supply but keep mains inlet and fan housing.
I fit a decent fan on input and output for good airflow.
Obviously doesn't look as pro but does the job cheaply.

Thanks for the recommendation. So I assume I still need those small parts/volume control mentioned above? And this also sounds that there is basically nothing like this around as a finished product already if I want to stay in comparable price ranges? Because honestly if I just look at it I do not even know which wires and stuff I would even need to get.

And towards the suggestion about integrated amps from reputable brands, I would still want this to be class D. And only stuff on google I find is either: quality really looks questionable; really high price; parts like you described to build it yourself and very few tutorials on how to, but either outdated or to the point that I would need to understand these schematic diagrams or at least some more technical knowledge to know what I still need to get.

DIY is only worth the effort if you are interested in how the components work together, at least on a qualitative level. DIY just for saving money but without interest is hardly worth the effort. You have been given more good advises on possible candidates but it is difficult to choose if you do not have the overview.

You do not have any real DIY candidates that include both a good DAC and a decent power amplifier. What you need is a separate DAC (converts a numerical input signal from a PC, smartphone, CD player with optical output etc. into an analog signal the power amplifier can amplify for the speakers) and a power amplifier with a volume potentiometer.
What I will propose you is to spend some 100-120 EUR on a good DAC eventually with BlueTooth, and then invest in a good but perhaps not perfect class D DIY amplifier. I would for a start worry less about if you really get 100W in 4 Ohm. Only when you have tried a first class D amplifier for a while, you will know what you like next. A good DAC can be reused with better amplifiers in the future. With a poor DAC, your system will never perform very well. A starting class D amplifier could be based on a TDA7498E amplifier and a 24-30V power supply. Such an amplifier will sound fine and cost you less than 100 EUR.

Last edited:
I have zero technical knowledge. So first option would be to buy a prebuilt one.

I bought two Sabaj A4 for my active speakers. They have pcm/pwm chip, so no digital analogue conversion. They sound good. My hands are no longer steady enough to do soldering, especially the fine stuff required nowadays.

SHENZHEN DAHAO TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD

Buying them is easy enough.

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.