ICEPower 200AC with slotted output torroid?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

Just saw a picture of an ICEPower 200AC module.

I'm guessing that the slotted white/grey torroid is the output inductor.

I've never seen a commercial product with a slotted core before, and my impression is that it is best avoided because the slot will have a huge radiation that will couple to all other parts and wires.

What am I missing? B&O would not do this without proper evaluation and I'm guessing that the slotted core is the cheapest option for them.

Any guesses on the core-type?

Kind regards TroelsM

Attachments

• 200AC.png
    200AC.png
    155.9 KB · Views: 132
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
With the slot on top there is little magnetic coupling to the pcb traces. A slotted core is a hint that ferrite material has been used - which lets expect better linearity than iron powder. And btw, real good iron powder cores are expensive.

Hi all.

Just saw a picture of an ICEPower 200AC module.

I'm guessing that the slotted white/grey torroid is the output inductor.

I've never seen a commercial product with a slotted core before, and my impression is that it is best avoided because the slot will have a huge radiation that will couple to all other parts and wires.

What am I missing? B&O would not do this without proper evaluation and I'm guessing that the slotted core is the cheapest option for them.

Any guesses on the core-type?

Kind regards TroelsM

wow transistors with no heat-sink, cheap tactics again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.