Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TPA3116 2.1 - Burn Out
TPA3116 2.1 - Burn Out
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2019, 10:29 AM   #1
rollingreenhills is offline rollingreenhills
diyAudio Member

Default TPA3116 2.1 - Burn Out

Hi guys. I recent ran an "experiment" which burnt out a long time reliable TPA3116 2.1 board. I was trying to:

-boost out put
-run 2 board simultaneous

Using a Behringer HA400 head phone amplifier. It did "work" in that I listened to around 20 bass heavy tracks at just below distorted volume on a number of occasions. But one day left tunes playing for 1 hour plus, and board overheated.

Click the image to open in full size.

My question is if I replaced these toroidal things with bit of wire to test the board is functioning, is that good idea? What do the toroids do? Are they low pass filters of some sort? I have plenty of large toroids hanging around could I replace them with mismatched ones?

Or do think other things have likely been melted and I should just replace the whole board at cost of 7.50 (!). What is you gut feeling?
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:49 AM   #2
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Yes, those toroids are necessary for filtering the PWM switching frequency. You can either unwind the damaged ones, get some enamelled wird of the same length and diameter, and rewind them. Or, for just seven bucks get a new board.

Best regards!
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:58 AM   #3
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Agree entirely with Kay; new boards required and then check the load impedance is not too low.
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:53 AM   #4
Mihkus is offline Mihkus  Estonia
diyAudio Member

I have the same board, the inductive filters are a bit too inefficient and heat up badly.
Very thin wire...
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:11 PM   #5
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

At only GBP 7.50 one can't expect top state of the art quality . As always, you get what you pay for .
Inadequate LPF inductors are well known here as an issue with cheap Chinese TPA3255 boards. I suspect the ferrite rings in your board don't cope with the switching frequency, hence overheat.
Best regards!
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:12 PM   #6
rollingreenhills is offline rollingreenhills
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, I think that answers my question.

New board ordered.

For future reference, is the the length of the wire or the number of turns that make these filters do what they do?
Old 22nd August 2019, 04:38 PM   #7
Turbowatch2 is offline Turbowatch2  Germany
diyAudio Member

The number of turns is most important. You can rewind them with stronger, insulated copper wire or get some with about 5A and 10uH for the 2.0 channels and 7.5A 15uH for the sub channel. The type you have on the board is OK, there are more expensive ones, that may shield EMI better, but soundwise there is not much to gain if the ampere value is similar.

Im not sure there was everything OK with your installation, as normaly there should not be that much energy heating up the coils. Its ampere value = low resistance is to make them transparent for audio frequncy. Maybe you put an amperemeter in series with the supply and whatch how much current is used. It seems the oscillations the coil has to absorb are much to high.
Old 22nd August 2019, 05:18 PM   #8
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihkus View Post
I have the same board, the inductive filters are a bit too inefficient and heat up badly.
Very thin wire...

Definitely nothing to do with the wire, its perfectly adequate, the _cores_ are underrated and overheating due to magnetic hysteresis - I have this board too. Had to fix the wrong cap value (forget which thread alerted me to that, there's a 1nF that should be 1pF on the slave clock line.)

TPA3116 2.1 - Burn OutHide this!Advertise here!