Hypex UcD700HG with non-hypex SMPS, driver supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Since the IRS2092 based sub amp in my 6-channel DIY amp broke down (powered by a 1450 W +-75 V SMPS), and all the other five channels are already powered by Hypex UcD400OEM modules (with two additional SMPS for those modules), I am thinking about using a UcD700HG HxR module (on sale right now by hypex) instead of a IRS2092 based solution.
The UcD700HG need a +-75 V main supply, and an additional +15 V referenced to the negative main supply for the driver bootstrap.

I asked hypex if I could use my existing SMPS (which supplies +-75V, +-15V with shared ground to the main supply, and independent GND / + 12 V).
Tech support said that I would have to use an additional supply. I have a Meanwell RS-15-15 lying around. I asked the tech support if the following wiring would be correct, to which he simply said "yes, that is correct":

1. SMPS:
+75V -> Vcc
GND -> GND
-75V -> Vee

2. SMPS (+ 15 V / GND, for example Meanwell RS-15-15)
+ 15 V -> Vdr
GND -> Vee

But then I have to different supplies connected together, the GND of the meanwell connected to the negative rail of the big SMPS. I kind of trust the tech support of hypex, but will this really work???

Reactions: 1 user
I cannot reason why it should not work, though I am no expert.

Except for a capacitor, the Meanwell RS-15-15 does not have a connection between GND and safety earth, so there is no problem that it shorts -75 V rail.
https://www.meanwell-web.com/content/files/pdfs/productPdfs/MW/RS-15/RS-15-spec.pdf

The +15 V power supply must source current, which is OK for the Meanwell RS-15-15 as well.
http://www.europe-audio.com/datasheets%5Chypex%5CUcD700HG.pdf (page 9 shows a power supply for which the +15 V is generated by a 7815, which can only source current)

I have just finished installing the UcD700 inside the case, made all the connections, but the module won't turn on.

My Ucd400OEM modules all work fine.

I have measured the voltages, I have +75V going to Vcc, -75V going to Vee, GND connected.
The meanwell delivers -60 V (measured between Vee and Vdr), so Vdr is connected to +15V.

See the attached image for an idea of the setup (cables disconnected from UcD700 for measurements). MVIMG_20190920_132728.jpg

But still the amp won't turn on. I have connected pin 6 of the 10-pin connector to GND, which I thought should enable the amp (the same thing I did with the UcD400 OEM, where it works flawlessly).
BTW, this is a test setup, the UcD700 will get a heatsink on top, after the final wiring ist complete.

I have also sent an email to hypex support, but maybe someone from this forum could also provide some help...

With some mails going to and fro between the hypex support and me (thnak you, Jos!) we have found the simple (and for me shameful) solution.

For me it was not obvious that you have to supply an additionally 15 - 25 V (additionally to the main supply AND additionally to the driver supply) for the input stage.

Sadly my main SMPS does only provide +-12 V additionally, so I ordered a simple print trafo with 18V for that job (regulation is done "on board" by the HxR regulators).

But also with +-12V it fires up ok, so I can finish my six channel "beast" after all...

Hypex are not thought for DIYS. You demand the same service, as a system integrator that has just bought 500 amps for a small series of active PA speakers. Even as you are charged 5x the price as a +100 unit buyer, this does not make sense for many OEM´s.
This is one of the reasons ICE for example does not sell to DIYS.
We are not at "hififorum" so I will not explain that you are not allowed to operate your amp without a individual CE approval and the fine in Germany, for doing without is 50.000€.
You are allowed to buy at the media market or saturn, that´s the choice the lawmaker left for you, sorry.

PS This post is not against you, but sarcastic humor, created by reality .

Last edited:
I had a look at your build up, the round car connectors are known to be extremly unreliable.
On the other side, the flat ones, you use too, even have a sinking resistance over time, as the two contact blades have a very high pressure and dig into their counterpart. They are very reliable, if not used in very wet conditions.
Maybe your previous defect had something to do with contact problems.

Everything is working now as it should, we (the Hypex technician as well) had simply not though of providing the additionally needed auxiliary voltage for the signal stage... So I implemented a simple non regulated supply for the input stage (my SMPS only provides +-12V aux, which is not quite sufficient for the input stage of the UcD700HG).
Regulation is being done my the on board HxR regulators...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.