Looking for a 2.1 amplifier board with a bluetooth option

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone

I got this old iphone/ipod docking station that I never use anymore. I want to modify it into a bluetooth speaker, but my knowledge on the subject is very limited so I decided to seek some help :)

31ysgmz2dwL._AA300_.jpg

• info on the back has it rated for a 100W total
  • 2 smaller speakers and one big one
  • it hums when its idle (hate it) and the radiator on the back gets pretty hot
  • wooden construction
The plan is to open it, get rid of the stock amplifier/electronics/power supply and replace it with a class D amplifier + bluetooth + new PSU

• I want it to be ON 24/7, always ready to be connected to
  • as long as there is no humming when idle - cheaper = better. The station itself cost 20$ and I'm not very picky when it comes to sound :)
Initially I was thinking about this AIYIMA TPA3116 Subwoofer Amplifier Board 2.1 Channel High Power Bluetooth 4.2 Audio Amplifier Board DC12V 24V 2*50W+100W-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group but from the info I've been able to gather apparently it hums like crazy. What boards should I look into, perhaps separate amplifier and bluetooth boards? Would greatly appreciate any help.

I recently bought this one
GHXAMP TPA3116 2.1 Subwoofer Bluetooth Amplifier Digital Audio Board 50W*2+100W Bass AUX For 2.1 Bluetooth 5.0 Speaker DIY NEW-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Basically the same board but "Bluetooth 5.0" updated.
However, other than when pairing it said "M200 BT5.0", there is no way to verify it's actually Bluetooth 5.0. The BT chip is JL with a random number, I would be surprised it's just the device name is 5.0.
When connected, it seems only support SBC codec which is the very basic quality. I believe it's the same for some unknown BT 4.2 chip.

So, if you're picky about Bluetooth audio, you might want to go for separate Bluetooth board that supports aptX (Android) or AAC (iPhone/new Android) if those exist.
I will probably go for that next but I don't know how to integrate the Bluetooth board to the amp board.
Most of my other Bluetooth speakers and headphone amp support aptX.

I'm using the amp with 8ohm bookshelf speakers and a 8ohm passive subwoofer as my computer speakers, so probably should work for you too.
It's working great, really like the controls in front, compared to the my old TPA3116 which has only 3 knobs.
Right now I'm using a 24V MeanWell power supply but I also used it with 19V laptop adapter before that.
Going to use the computer's power supply with a 12V to 24V booster (waiting for some PCIE power cables) so it will be switched on and off with my computer.

Last edited:
Hi, go to this youtube user Darieee, they have done a lot with the apple hifi.

YouTube

He used almost the same board quote earlier, but without integrated Bluetooth module, for the DIY bluetooth speaker. I'm planning to use the same board next with CSR8675 and TPA3105A.

However, I noticed that in the first board review video, the big capacitor was there:
YouTube

But in the next video, seems it was replaced with a small one?
YouTube

What's the reason for that? because he's using lower voltage?

@mcdull; Thx 4 the BT info. You can run it from 12V directly unless you want/need to get the last few dB's out of it.

I tried running 2 PCI-E 8-pin cables (can pull 12V/300W) from my PC's ATX power supply to the amplifier.
Then I can hear noise load and clear from the speakers even on Bluetooth.
Before that I was using a dedicated Mean Well PS or laptop adapter and no noise at all.

I guess it's the ground noise as the power supply is sharing with other PC components? Any way to eliminate the noise?

What I'm trying to do is to power off the amplifier when I shutdown or put my computer to sleep.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.