Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Audiophile grade class d (or close) system under USD300?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2019, 05:47 AM   #1
tushark9 is offline tushark9
diyAudio Member

Default Audiophile grade class d (or close) system under USD300?

Well we are in second half of 2019, is it possible now to build a audiophile grade class d (or close) system under USD 300?

I wanted to use two class d mono blocks with common power supply from connex electronic (if they respond to my mails). I was also intrigued by connex cxd250-hp as they state following
"The THD at 150W on 4R at 1KHz with power stage supply voltage of +-54V is 0.0028% making this amplifier sound comparable with best in class audiophile linear amplifiers." Not sure if any one has tried this board, if yes how was the sound experience ?

(CxD250-HP | Connex Electronic)

Requesting suggestions on class d mono blocks. 250W power on each mono block should be more than enough.

Note: I have just got into this DIY amp thing in last 10 days, reading a lot but still I can be put in category of noob.

Audiophile as a term may have many meaning, but for me it is a sound which if not perfect (Due to my budget), at-least is above average in various parameters that i have been reading like clarity, depth, sound stage, warmth etc. I understand its quite subjective and difficult to express. In fact the reality is one can say a sound is better by comparing to a benchmark i.e. a sound which one has already heard and is available for comparison. For me I guess any thing will sound better as i have 15W 2.1 Philips stereo set which is quite old, sounds ok nothing special.

Anyways back to old question, I hope people with more experience and better ears in the forum can suggest good sounding amp. I can only invest once USD 300 and whether it works out well or not I have to deal with it. No further investment till next 5 years can't afford. So I have one shot please help me.
Old 14th August 2019, 07:49 AM   #2
chermann is offline chermann  Austria
diyAudio Member

Hi

Well the "audio grade amp" is really a different thinking .
its impportant to look at the complete chain- i mean source - amp- speakers - room.
if all exercises are done in all areas the amp should be the easiest task.
but with a budget of 300 its possible to get in my experiance a very good amplifier - in this case Class D. personelly i do not think that 2 class D mono amps are needed to get a very good sound in a home listening room. i did a lot of measurements directly (differential probe scope!) on the amps output during listening session - so "normal" its about 1- 10WATT (with speakers about 85db its still f** loud in my 26m2 room) - and for party mode and shake the floor its a about 70-100WATT at home ---- so 1 amp board is suffiecient.

example:
case lets say 60 - 80 euros
amp board - TPA3255 EVM by TI - you have to check the TI store online - 149USD -the 50% discount code is not working
amp board 3eE board - 90 euros
power supply - connex SMPS240R 90euros

cabeling, switches
DIY work to build all together

chris

Last edited by chermann; 14th August 2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 14th August 2019, 08:48 AM   #3
Khron is offline Khron  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
I could very well be wrong on this one, but "audiophile grade" to me spells out "costs an arm and a d*ck and MAYBE looks arguably stylish, has 'magical' properties and glowing reviews by well-compensated shills"

And that's obviously not compatible with your specified budget, so i guess it's a case of "be careful what you wish for"

YouTube
YouTube

... But i guess i'm just a cynical bastard like that...
Old 14th August 2019, 09:51 AM   #4
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushark9 View Post
is it possible now to build a audiophile grade class d (or close) system under USD 300?

Requesting suggestions on class d mono blocks. 250W power on each mono block should be more than enough.

Note: I have just got into this DIY amp thing in last 10 days, reading a lot but still I can be put in category of noob.
Look at something like this for a first time build:
TPA3255 Reference Design Class D Amp GB
The OP, xrk971, will help you with any building questions or problems. He is one of the most helpful members around.
Old 14th August 2019, 09:58 AM   #5
FauxFrench is online now FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

I guess Krohn means an arm and a duck. Ducks can taste very deliciously if prepared right.

Anyway, audiophile is not a well defined concept. The old HiFi standard (DIN45500) and the corresponding IEC standard were, as far as I know, the last to set specific limits on the performance. Really good (not perfect) sound for 300USD should be possible if you go for DIY. Chris (+brother) is one of our best references for sound quality. In Austria, the audio gear even has to reproduce yodeling without breaking down. A good implementation of TPA3155 is a very good advice. Unless you have a particularly huge living, 2x100W will be enough. Use above 100W may not be so audiophile anyway (wife screaming, children crying and the dog barking).

Connex seems to make pretty good circuits but more members have had serious problems with the documentation and poor after sales service. You can look on this forum for their experience.

An alternative would be a smaller IcePower amplifier. The power is sufficient and perhaps the sound is a little better (I cannot tell for sure as I do not have one). These are the two candidates I would consider.
Old 14th August 2019, 10:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

FF....awesome

small correction in vienna we are not yodeling...just:
YouTube

Old 14th August 2019, 10:35 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

back to topic

sorry the connex smps topic i do not realised. FF is an SMPS expert and the advice to look for a SMPS +amp on one board is a good idea. i personally havenīt a icepower but if you choose a small amp then your budget should be achieved.
here is a very interesting link where an experienced member (e_fortier) ask this question:
Class D with integral SMPS

small icepower module:
ICEPower 50asx2 kit

hypex module....its a hint by kartino...thx!
Hypex UcD34MP

chris
Old 14th August 2019, 10:46 AM   #8
Khron is offline Khron  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Depending on your location, one of these may or may not be pretty good bang-per-buck, aparently:

500W of ICEpower for USD$100, deal or not?
Old 14th August 2019, 11:56 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khron View Post
Depending on your location, one of these may or may not be pretty good bang-per-buck, aparently:

500W of ICEpower for USD$100, deal or not?

yep Khron...but waiting
Old 15th August 2019, 08:02 PM   #10
irribeo is offline irribeo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

icepower 100as2 is 100 or 130 watt 4 ohm stereo TI tpa3251 board which includes powersupply, price is comparable to 50asx2, browse. you do need a preamp pcb unless your sources can drive 1.8kohm inputimpedance, a powersupply output for that pcb is also already on the icepowermodule, also on 50asx2 btw.

Audiophile grade class d (or close) system under USD300?Hide this!Advertise here!