Audiophile grade class d (or close) system under USD300?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well we are in second half of 2019, is it possible now to build a audiophile grade class d (or close) system under USD 300?

I wanted to use two class d mono blocks with common power supply from connex electronic (if they respond to my mails). I was also intrigued by connex cxd250-hp as they state following
"The THD at 150W on 4R at 1KHz with power stage supply voltage of +-54V is 0.0028% making this amplifier sound comparable with best in class audiophile linear amplifiers." Not sure if any one has tried this board, if yes how was the sound experience ?

(CxD250-HP | Connex Electronic)

Requesting suggestions on class d mono blocks. 250W power on each mono block should be more than enough.

Note: I have just got into this DIY amp thing in last 10 days, reading a lot but still I can be put in category of noob.

Audiophile as a term may have many meaning, but for me it is a sound which if not perfect (Due to my budget), at-least is above average in various parameters that i have been reading like clarity, depth, sound stage, warmth etc. I understand its quite subjective and difficult to express. In fact the reality is one can say a sound is better by comparing to a benchmark i.e. a sound which one has already heard and is available for comparison. For me I guess any thing will sound better as i have 15W 2.1 Philips stereo set which is quite old, sounds ok nothing special.

Anyways back to old question, I hope people with more experience and better ears in the forum can suggest good sounding amp. I can only invest once USD 300 and whether it works out well or not I have to deal with it. No further investment till next 5 years can't afford. So I have one shot please help me.

Hi

Well the "audio grade amp" is really a different thinking ;).
its impportant to look at the complete chain- i mean source - amp- speakers - room.
if all exercises are done in all areas the amp should be the easiest task:D.
but with a budget of 300 its possible to get in my experiance a very good amplifier - in this case Class D. personelly i do not think that 2 class D mono amps are needed to get a very good sound in a home listening room. i did a lot of measurements directly (differential probe scope!) on the amps output during listening session - so "normal" its about 1- 10WATT (with speakers about 85db its still f** loud in my 26m2 room) - and for party mode and shake the floor its a about 70-100WATT at home ---- so 1 amp board is suffiecient.

example:
case lets say 60 - 80 euros
amp board - TPA3255 EVM by TI - you have to check the TI store online - 149USD -the 50% discount code is not working
amp board 3eE board - 90 euros
power supply - connex SMPS240R 90euros

cabeling, switches
DIY work to build all together :)

chris

Last edited:
I could very well be wrong on this one, but "audiophile grade" to me spells out "costs an arm and a d*ck and MAYBE looks arguably stylish, has 'magical' properties and glowing reviews by well-compensated shills" :D

And that's obviously not compatible with your specified budget, so i guess it's a case of "be careful what you wish for" ;)

YouTube
YouTube

... But i guess i'm just a cynical bastard like that... :rolleyes:

is it possible now to build a audiophile grade class d (or close) system under USD 300?

Requesting suggestions on class d mono blocks. 250W power on each mono block should be more than enough.

Note: I have just got into this DIY amp thing in last 10 days, reading a lot but still I can be put in category of noob.

Look at something like this for a first time build:
TPA3255 Reference Design Class D Amp GB
The OP, xrk971, will help you with any building questions or problems. He is one of the most helpful members around.

I guess Krohn means an arm and a duck. Ducks can taste very deliciously if prepared right.

Anyway, audiophile is not a well defined concept. The old HiFi standard (DIN45500) and the corresponding IEC standard were, as far as I know, the last to set specific limits on the performance. Really good (not perfect) sound for 300USD should be possible if you go for DIY. Chris (+brother) is one of our best references for sound quality. In Austria, the audio gear even has to reproduce yodeling without breaking down. A good implementation of TPA3155 is a very good advice. Unless you have a particularly huge living, 2x100W will be enough. Use above 100W may not be so audiophile anyway (wife screaming, children crying and the dog barking).

Connex seems to make pretty good circuits but more members have had serious problems with the documentation and poor after sales service. You can look on this forum for their experience.

An alternative would be a smaller IcePower amplifier. The power is sufficient and perhaps the sound is a little better (I cannot tell for sure as I do not have one). These are the two candidates I would consider.

back to topic

sorry the connex smps topic i do not realised. FF is an SMPS expert and the advice to look for a SMPS +amp on one board is a good idea. i personally haven´t a icepower but if you choose a small amp then your budget should be achieved.
here is a very interesting link where an experienced member (e_fortier) ask this question:
Class D with integral SMPS

small icepower module:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/335566-icepower-50asx2-kit-4.html#post5748151

hypex module....its a hint by kartino...thx!
Hypex UcD34MP

chris

icepower 100as2 is 100 or 130 watt 4 ohm stereo TI tpa3251 board which includes powersupply, price is comparable to 50asx2, browse. you do need a preamp pcb unless your sources can drive 1.8kohm inputimpedance, a powersupply output for that pcb is also already on the icepowermodule, also on 50asx2 btw.

....Anyway, audiophile is not a well defined concept.....
Recently I heard this definition:
Audiophiles use music to listen to their gear.
Music lovers (philes?) use gear to listen to their music. :)

3e audio makes 2 dual chip 3251 boards in a 3 and 4 channel config and a nice DSP+bleutooth module.
(I'm a 2.1 fan; I see it as the better 3way system; as it allows for better (sub) woofer placement. (sealed sub(s) in a corner or at least at a wall, drivers close to the wall)

Meanwell LRS power supplies are great value.

@TS: I'm not sure if you mean a complete system with speakers or just an amp with "system". For a complete system you should spend most of the money on speakers (and place them correct!) as they will have the biggest impact on sound quality.

Last edited:
Well we are in second half of 2019, is it possible now to build a audiophile grade class d (or close) system under USD 300?

I'd say definitely yes, but it would depend on the definition of 'build'. I'd guess not if it doesn't include 'modify'.

What I have currently set up does the trick of making the speakers disappear which I consider foundational for getting into the 'audiophile' ballpark.

I have two Taobao IRS2092 amps which cost 75RMB each, modified (each takes about 2hrs to add in an updated signal level PSU and change various components). Cost of extra components - less than 50RMB.

I have a 72-parallel TDA1387 DAC feeding them via a pair of hand-wound transformers. The total cost of all the DAC parts under 100RMB.

You'll need power supplies for both - even if you used bench variable supplies you'd not bust your $300 budget. Or you could buy Meanwell switching supplies at about 250RMB for a pair.

Speakers - you can get good enough ones on Taobao for around 700RMB.

Buying all the above I'd have spent under 1300RMB ( $185). The rest can be used for a digital source - say an SD card player. You'll still have change so long as you don't fancy one of those LessLoss source devices....:eek:

Audiophile as a term may have many meaning, but for me it is a sound which if not perfect (Due to my budget), at-least is above average in various parameters that i have been reading like clarity, depth, sound stage, warmth etc. I understand its quite subjective and difficult to express.
Ultimately its about listening satisfaction, making me want to listen to more and more music. My system achieves that for sure - it gets out of the way, connecting me to the artists. To me an audiophile system does not draw attention to itself in any way, its an open window into the recording.

chermann
Thanks for clarifying that even 10 watts can break one’s ears in home environment. May be less is more here. I was unnecessarily thinking of buying amps more than 200 watts.

Regarding your TPA3255EVM suggestion, yes it seems to be a good board but getting it to India will cost me about USD 230 to USD 250 (item cost+shipping+custom duty+tax) i.e. very very expensive. I compared its THD mentioned in datasheet (figure 13) with CxD2160 of connex and TPA was just a bit better (though I really don’t know how much THD difference makes difference in normal listening environment of home). But the price difference between TPA3255 (USD 230 for me) and (cxd2160 USD 100 for me) is more than double. For US customers may be TPA is worth the cost but for me in INDIA getting things is expensive because I have to pay 42 percent tax (custom + GST). So that’s how it is. China is an exception though as they are ready to declare any price for custom clearance. So if we choose the sweet spot i.e. not very low and not the actual price in between, we can get away by paying reasonable tax. Everyone is happy.

Anyways it’s was good to know one stereo amp is good enough. I wanted two mono amps as I was reading the quality improvements channel separation brings but like I have no first-hand experience on same, not sure how much benefit it can bring.

Khron
Yes, audiophile system apart from costing costs an arm and a d*ck , can also cost two kidneys and heart. I understand that but was optimistic as technology is advancing and things are getting better even at lower budget. Now it’s possible to get a phone for USD200 with antutu score more than 2 lakh. For the same price two years back I purchased a phone with antutu 60k. So was just optimistic, maybe this would also apply to audio industry.
Thanks for the youtube links will surely watch them.

twocents
Thanks for the forum link but my present skills only allow me to assemble amp from finished amp boards. But the forum seems to dealing with something way out of my league. I can make soap but not amp boards… 

FauxFrench
Yes, even I wanted to buy ICE POWER but issue is I have to get it from parts express and shipping plus customs plus tax will make it a very expensive option. I mailed to parts express but they won’t declare lower price, I understand its unethical but 42 percent duty on Item cost plus shipping cost is also not ethical. Hence dropped buying icepower and I don’t trust its clones from china.
ICEPower 50asx2 Item cost USD 118 + 71 Shipping + .42*(118+71)= 286 (Worst scenario)
ICEPower 50asx2 Item cost USD 118 + 71 Shipping + .42*(118+(.20*118) 20 percent of product cost as shipping) = 248 (a bit better scenario)
For the same item getting two different amount of customs charged is not rare in India.

abraxalito
Ultimately its about listening satisfaction, making me want to listen to more and more music.My system achieves that for sure - it gets out of the way, connecting me to the artists. To me an audiophile system does not draw attention to itself in any way, its an open window into the recording.

My current system makes me turn off the music, it gives me headache sometimes. You rightly said, if a system makes you listen more and more music its a good audiophile system. That is what I need.

Your suggestion seems to involve some modification which presently is not my cup of tea but its good to know people are creating such systems in resonable budget.

Are you 10000% sure it's the electronics that are the problem, though? :confused:

Especially before shelling out a considerable(?) wad of cash, it might probably be good to know you're going after what the issue really is, instead of a "band-aid" that may or may not do much beyond "peace of mind".

Maybe it's the speakers? Maybe it's the untreated room? Maybe it's the source? Maybe even the music (and the way it's been recorded / mixed / mastered)?

chermann

abraxalito

My current system makes me turn off the music, it gives me headache sometimes. You rightly said, if a system makes you listen more and more music its a good audiophile system. That is what I need.

Your suggestion seems to involve some modification which presently is not my cup of tea but its good to know people are creating such systems in resonable budget.

Are you 10000% sure it's the electronics that are the problem, though? :confused:

Especially before shelling out a considerable(?) wad of cash, it might probably be good to know you're going after what the issue really is, instead of a "band-aid" that may or may not do much beyond "peace of mind".

Maybe it's the speakers? Maybe it's the untreated room? Maybe it's the source? Maybe even the music (and the way it's been recorded / mixed / mastered)?

Well everything is a problem, I have a small 2.1 system purchased in 2005 I guess. It's woofer has built in amp driving itself and two other separate speakers taking input from it. Its volume buttons have gone bad changing volume introduces lot of noise. Source is TV (RCA) or phone (normal mp3), there is no room treatment.

So first I need a good amp and suitable speakers. Than will address other issues.

$129 for a Volt+ dual chip TPA3118 amp is a lot of money.
I would get a 3e audio TPA325X board for less.

If you like 2.1, this <$20 board is a steal; and can also be used for 2.0 thx to the little high pass switch for the main speakers. Power it with an old laptop adapter.
With good speakers, the sound is almost as good as my TPA3255 EVM or 3E audio boards; I can only hear the difference if I AB it; TPA3255 sounds a bit more polished. I can listen to both all day and still would have to guess if I didn't know which was playing.
You could at least fix you 2.1 system with it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.