Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Audiophile grade class d (or close) system under USD300?
Audiophile grade class d (or close) system under USD300?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2019, 04:17 PM   #21
akuster777 is offline akuster777  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi all! My first post here.

I built an excellent amp for $191 US:

TPA-3255-2ch-260w class d board from 3e-audio $75

Everything else from mouser:

Mean well LRS-350-48 power supply $35
Chassis and cover $42
Switch $7
Speaker connectors $7
RCA input jacks $6
LED $4
Power cord $5
Wire, connectors, standoffs, solder ~ $10

Sounds terrific to me!

Best wishes to all,

akuster777
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190808_133113.jpg (197.3 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg 20190816_081359.jpg (126.0 KB, 309 views)
Old 19th August 2019, 08:54 PM   #22
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

If you want big improvement you should fix the Philips and spend your 300 dollars on speakers. At least test it with good speakers. It might very well sound "audiophile" No reason a 2006 amp shouldnt sound perfect. The real question for you is: Which speakers will fit your room? They have to be easy to drive, when driven by the Phillips of course.

Cheers
Old 20th August 2019, 04:02 PM   #23
tubesguy is offline tubesguy  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushark9 View Post
Regarding your TPA3255EVM suggestion, yes it seems to be a good board but getting it to India will cost me about USD 230 to USD 250 (item cost+shipping+custom duty+tax) i.e. very very expensive. I compared its THD mentioned in datasheet (figure 13) with CxD2160 of connex and TPA was just a bit better (though I really donít know how much THD difference makes difference in normal listening environment of home). But the price difference between TPA3255 (USD 230 for me) and (cxd2160 USD 100 for me) is more than double. For US customers may be TPA is worth the cost but for me in INDIA getting things is expensive because I have to pay 42 percent tax (custom + GST).
Surely there must, at this point after the flurry of excitement about the half-price sale, be a few people in the US that have a TPA and a suitable Meanwell LRS-350-48 sitting around not being used. The combo would have a realistic used value of about $60-65, and first-class USPS shipping to India might be about $40. That's not bad.
Old 21st August 2019, 07:29 PM   #24
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Good suggestion tubeguy.
Cheers!
Old 23rd August 2019, 02:29 AM   #25
mcdull is offline mcdull  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think View Post
If you like 2.1, this <$20 board is a steal; and can also be used for 2.0 thx to the little high pass switch for the main speakers. Power it with an old laptop adapter.
Another idea of what are the unconnected pins marked Audio In (Lin G Rin) on the side of the board? Can that be used for 2nd audio input?
Looking for if there is a way to wire a Bluetooth board and switch between original line in and BT.
Old 23rd August 2019, 04:54 AM   #26
chermann is offline chermann  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdull View Post
Another idea of what are the unconnected pins marked Audio In (Lin G Rin) on the side of the board? Can that be used for 2nd audio input?
Looking for if there is a way to wire a Bluetooth board and switch between original line in and BT.

Good morning

yes this is the 2nd way to connect the aduio into the board. biside that you see the "phone 3,5" " jack
chris
Old 23rd August 2019, 02:11 PM   #27
ehiunno is offline ehiunno  United States
diyAudio Member

tushark9, did connex electronic ever respond to your emails?

I purchased several things from them 2-3 years ago and they were very quick and helpful. Now I want to buy a few more things and I've sent them two emails and haven't gotten a response. I'm hoping they didn't go under they had great products.
Old 23rd August 2019, 04:05 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Update - CE just got back to me. Looks like they were on holiday and couldn't get back due to the political unrest.
Old 23rd August 2019, 07:48 PM   #29
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

hmmm...Id still avoid connex like they had the plague. I wish I did.. grrr.
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:21 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
hmmm...Id still avoid connex like they had the plague. I wish I did.. grrr.
Oh? I bought some things from them a few years ago and haven't had a problem. What happened to you?

Audiophile grade class d (or close) system under USD300?Hide this!Advertise here!