Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Audiophile grade class d (or close) system under USD300?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2019, 11:42 AM   #11
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
....Anyway, audiophile is not a well defined concept.....
Recently I heard this definition:
Audiophiles use music to listen to their gear.
Music lovers (philes?) use gear to listen to their music.

3e audio makes 2 dual chip 3251 boards in a 3 and 4 channel config and a nice DSP+bleutooth module.
(I'm a 2.1 fan; I see it as the better 3way system; as it allows for better (sub) woofer placement. (sealed sub(s) in a corner or at least at a wall, drivers close to the wall)

Meanwell LRS power supplies are great value.

@TS: I'm not sure if you mean a complete system with speakers or just an amp with "system". For a complete system you should spend most of the money on speakers (and place them correct!) as they will have the biggest impact on sound quality.

Last edited by Think; 16th August 2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 19th August 2019, 02:45 AM   #12
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushark9 View Post
Well we are in second half of 2019, is it possible now to build a audiophile grade class d (or close) system under USD 300?
I'd say definitely yes, but it would depend on the definition of 'build'. I'd guess not if it doesn't include 'modify'.

What I have currently set up does the trick of making the speakers disappear which I consider foundational for getting into the 'audiophile' ballpark.

I have two Taobao IRS2092 amps which cost 75RMB each, modified (each takes about 2hrs to add in an updated signal level PSU and change various components). Cost of extra components - less than 50RMB.

I have a 72-parallel TDA1387 DAC feeding them via a pair of hand-wound transformers. The total cost of all the DAC parts under 100RMB.

You'll need power supplies for both - even if you used bench variable supplies you'd not bust your $300 budget. Or you could buy Meanwell switching supplies at about 250RMB for a pair.

Speakers - you can get good enough ones on Taobao for around 700RMB.

Buying all the above I'd have spent under 1300RMB ( $185). The rest can be used for a digital source - say an SD card player. You'll still have change so long as you don't fancy one of those LessLoss source devices....

Quote:

Audiophile as a term may have many meaning, but for me it is a sound which if not perfect (Due to my budget), at-least is above average in various parameters that i have been reading like clarity, depth, sound stage, warmth etc. I understand its quite subjective and difficult to express.
Ultimately its about listening satisfaction, making me want to listen to more and more music. My system achieves that for sure - it gets out of the way, connecting me to the artists. To me an audiophile system does not draw attention to itself in any way, its an open window into the recording.
Old 19th August 2019, 05:04 AM   #13
chermann is offline chermann  Austria
diyAudio Member

......its an open window into the recording.

yes.....
Old 19th August 2019, 06:46 AM   #14
tushark9 is offline tushark9
diyAudio Member

chermann
Thanks for clarifying that even 10 watts can break oneís ears in home environment. May be less is more here. I was unnecessarily thinking of buying amps more than 200 watts.

Regarding your TPA3255EVM suggestion, yes it seems to be a good board but getting it to India will cost me about USD 230 to USD 250 (item cost+shipping+custom duty+tax) i.e. very very expensive. I compared its THD mentioned in datasheet (figure 13) with CxD2160 of connex and TPA was just a bit better (though I really donít know how much THD difference makes difference in normal listening environment of home). But the price difference between TPA3255 (USD 230 for me) and (cxd2160 USD 100 for me) is more than double. For US customers may be TPA is worth the cost but for me in INDIA getting things is expensive because I have to pay 42 percent tax (custom + GST). So thatís how it is. China is an exception though as they are ready to declare any price for custom clearance. So if we choose the sweet spot i.e. not very low and not the actual price in between, we can get away by paying reasonable tax. Everyone is happy.

Anyways itís was good to know one stereo amp is good enough. I wanted two mono amps as I was reading the quality improvements channel separation brings but like I have no first-hand experience on same, not sure how much benefit it can bring.

Khron
Yes, audiophile system apart from costing costs an arm and a d*ck , can also cost two kidneys and heart. I understand that but was optimistic as technology is advancing and things are getting better even at lower budget. Now itís possible to get a phone for USD200 with antutu score more than 2 lakh. For the same price two years back I purchased a phone with antutu 60k. So was just optimistic, maybe this would also apply to audio industry.
Thanks for the youtube links will surely watch them.

twocents
Thanks for the forum link but my present skills only allow me to assemble amp from finished amp boards. But the forum seems to dealing with something way out of my league. I can make soap but not amp boardsÖ 

FauxFrench
Yes, even I wanted to buy ICE POWER but issue is I have to get it from parts express and shipping plus customs plus tax will make it a very expensive option. I mailed to parts express but they wonít declare lower price, I understand its unethical but 42 percent duty on Item cost plus shipping cost is also not ethical. Hence dropped buying icepower and I donít trust its clones from china.
ICEPower 50asx2 Item cost USD 118 + 71 Shipping + .42*(118+71)= 286 (Worst scenario)
ICEPower 50asx2 Item cost USD 118 + 71 Shipping + .42*(118+(.20*118) 20 percent of product cost as shipping) = 248 (a bit better scenario)
For the same item getting two different amount of customs charged is not rare in India.

abraxalito
Quote:
Ultimately its about listening satisfaction, making me want to listen to more and more music.My system achieves that for sure - it gets out of the way, connecting me to the artists. To me an audiophile system does not draw attention to itself in any way, its an open window into the recording.
My current system makes me turn off the music, it gives me headache sometimes. You rightly said, if a system makes you listen more and more music its a good audiophile system. That is what I need.

Your suggestion seems to involve some modification which presently is not my cup of tea but its good to know people are creating such systems in resonable budget.
Old 19th August 2019, 07:24 AM   #15
Khron is offline Khron  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Are you 10000% sure it's the electronics that are the problem, though?

Especially before shelling out a considerable(?) wad of cash, it might probably be good to know you're going after what the issue really is, instead of a "band-aid" that may or may not do much beyond "peace of mind".

Maybe it's the speakers? Maybe it's the untreated room? Maybe it's the source? Maybe even the music (and the way it's been recorded / mixed / mastered)?

Quote:
chermann

abraxalito

My current system makes me turn off the music, it gives me headache sometimes. You rightly said, if a system makes you listen more and more music its a good audiophile system. That is what I need.

Your suggestion seems to involve some modification which presently is not my cup of tea but its good to know people are creating such systems in resonable budget.
Old 19th August 2019, 10:23 AM   #16
tushark9 is offline tushark9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khron View Post
Are you 10000% sure it's the electronics that are the problem, though?

Especially before shelling out a considerable(?) wad of cash, it might probably be good to know you're going after what the issue really is, instead of a "band-aid" that may or may not do much beyond "peace of mind".

Maybe it's the speakers? Maybe it's the untreated room? Maybe it's the source? Maybe even the music (and the way it's been recorded / mixed / mastered)?
Well everything is a problem, I have a small 2.1 system purchased in 2005 I guess. It's woofer has built in amp driving itself and two other separate speakers taking input from it. Its volume buttons have gone bad changing volume introduces lot of noise. Source is TV (RCA) or phone (normal mp3), there is no room treatment.

So first I need a good amp and suitable speakers. Than will address other issues.
Old 19th August 2019, 11:09 AM   #17
Yatsushiro is offline Yatsushiro  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So first I need a good amp and suitable speakers. Than will address other issues.
This would seem to fit the bill, if you can accept a lower 'wattage'; within budget, dual mono amps on one PCB and one PSU, made (and sold) in India, and has good reviews in DIY land.

Volt+ D (Double) 2x60W
Old 19th August 2019, 01:07 PM   #18
Khron is offline Khron  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Cheap and reasonable - Zaph|Audio

Or browse through the rest of that site if you think you'd want / need / afford something "bigger"
Old 19th August 2019, 01:21 PM   #19
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

$129 for a Volt+ dual chip TPA3118 amp is a lot of money.
I would get a 3e audio TPA325X board for less.

If you like 2.1, this <$20 board is a steal; and can also be used for 2.0 thx to the little high pass switch for the main speakers. Power it with an old laptop adapter.
With good speakers, the sound is almost as good as my TPA3255 EVM or 3E audio boards; I can only hear the difference if I AB it; TPA3255 sounds a bit more polished. I can listen to both all day and still would have to guess if I didn't know which was playing.
You could at least fix you 2.1 system with it.

Last edited by Think; 19th August 2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 19th August 2019, 01:24 PM   #20
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Quote:
Source is TV (RCA) or phone (normal mp3), there is no room treatment.

Your problems might also include your phone - some sound pretty good, others completely meh. You could get a cheap DAC which can be fed by phone over USB like this one : Dirt cheap USB only Phillips TDA1837 R2R DAC sounds wonderful | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Audiophile grade class d (or close) system under USD300?Hide this!Advertise here!