500W of ICEpower for USD$100, deal or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In several retailers there are selling the closeout VOCOPRO FeatherAMP 500W for under USD$100.-

That amp uses the ICEpower 125ASX2, which can be used in stereo (125wpc@4ohm) or BTL (450w@4ohm).

The amp also comes with gain knobs, a design that can be used as a plate amp, a 1/8 TRS pre amplified input and also balanced input.

The VOCOPRO company is California based, so I would assume they used genuine ICEpower products.

I am kind of wanting to buy it to power my Auralex bass shakers or maybe another subwoofer.

So... is it a good deal or not? What do you think?

Looking forward to your replies and comments.

Here are some pictures:

featheramp_2.jpg

featheramp_1.jpg

No doubt it's ugly.

If the buffers are suitably transparent this is a very good deal. I built mono BTL 125s this spring and just the IcePower and differential buffers were $170/channel.

What kind of buffer you used? Do you have pictures?

I've read ICEpower modules requiere a buffer for FR usage, but it's not necessary for SW duty.

As soon as I receive it I will post picture of the innards, and impression of the SQ.

What kind of buffer you used? Do you have pictures?

I've read ICEpower modules requiere a buffer for FR usage, but it's not necessary for SW duty.

As soon as I receive it I will post picture of the innards, and impression of the SQ.

I built two amps. One uses a single 125asx2 in stereo mode. Connected the single ended inputs direct to the amp module with no buffers needed. The second is a dual mono with two 125s in BTL mode, which requires differential input into to the amp to drive the positive and negative side of the bridged output. For this I used a converter buffer from Ghent audio: ghentaudio --- RTX (unbalnced RCA to balanced XLR Converting) Module

Here’s a picture of the dual mono amp with the buffer modules. Since the amp you ordered supports bridged output, there must be a buffer or transformer to generate the differential input needed by the amp module. I may order a couple of these today. If they have 125asx2 module in them they’re worth the price just for pulling the module out. Otherwise if the input stage sounds good then these are a real bargain.

Attachments

• FFD4A712-26DE-478D-8620-A2544852104B.jpg
    FFD4A712-26DE-478D-8620-A2544852104B.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 986
The sound of ICE amps can suffer without a buffer, if the souce is not low impedance. If you have a preamp that drives them well, you do, off course, need no buffer. Some models may sound better if driven symetrically from a strong buffer, as the input stages are not build to be used single ended. So, this is a "maybe" situation. Some commercial amps with ICE modules use transformer inputs.

The sound of ICE amps can suffer without a buffer, if the souce is not low impedance. If you have a preamp that drives them well, you do, off course, need no buffer. Some models may sound better if driven symetrically from a strong buffer, as the input stages are not build to be used single ended. So, this is a "maybe" situation. Some commercial amps with ICE modules use transformer inputs.

My dsp drives them with no issue.

Great info!

I am still learning about amps, so I still don't understand quite well things like buffer and

So, to drive this modules in BTL mode I do need a "unbalanced to balanced converter"? That means that with a "unbalanced to balanced" converter like the Ghent Audio RTX (or feeding them with a balanced signal) I can convert any stereo amp (meaning ICEPOWER 50asx2se) to a BTL one?

OK, If I feed the amp with a balanced low impedance signal, I don't need a buffer? I will feed my amps with a 3e Audio DSP, which provides single ended input and balanced output, is it enough?
ADAU1701-2In4Out | 3e Audio

Thanks in advance!

Great info!

I am still learning about amps, so I still don't understand quite well things like buffer and

So, to drive this modules in BTL mode I do need a "unbalanced to balanced converter"? That means that with a "unbalanced to balanced" converter like the Ghent Audio RTX (or feeding them with a balanced signal) I can convert any stereo amp (meaning ICEPOWER 50asx2se) to a BTL one?

OK, If I feed the amp with a balanced low impedance signal, I don't need a buffer? I will feed my amps with a 3e Audio DSP, which provides single ended input and balanced output, is it enough?
ADAU1701-2In4Out | 3e Audio

Thanks in advance!

You have to have balanced input to the amp module for bridged mode. And you must wire the bridge mode selector pin and speaker outputs correctly.

I’ve been thinking of using that 3e Audio DSP as an amp frontend as well.

You have to have balanced input to the amp module for bridged mode. And you must wire the bridge mode selector pin and speaker outputs correctly.

I’ve been thinking of using that 3e Audio DSP as an amp frontend as well.

Thanks for your reply!

The VOCOPRO Featheramp does have a bridge mode selector (obviously), but my 50ASX2SE does not... so I can't use it in bridge mode, correct?

I would like to get two of these to run as monoblocks. Too bad the enclosure is too big, even after removing the 6U (19.0 x 10.4") rack size face plate. It looks like the box is still very large compared to the compact 160x80x32.6mm module. So I would just pull the modules, and save the cases for another project. More junk in the garage, oh well. Still seems like a pretty good deal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.