Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Amplifier module on driver SI2833
Amplifier module on driver SI2833
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2019, 07:43 AM   #1
Sous is offline Sous  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Default Amplifier module on driver SI2833

Experimental design of the amplification module for GaN FET TPH3206 from Transphorm.

Expected up to 500W / 8 ohm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top.JPG (95.3 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg BTM.JPG (98.0 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by Sous; 10th July 2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 26th July 2019, 07:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

first start

YouTube
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-07-26_22-42-33.jpg (217.5 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by Sous; 26th July 2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 27th July 2019, 06:24 AM   #3
Reactance is offline Reactance  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
first start

YouTube
You got the over current protection working! good work.
Old 27th July 2019, 09:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks!
The voltage drop across a section of a printed circuit board with a resistance of 2.3 mΩ is transmitted to ground level and then fed to a high-speed comparator (80ns).
In addition, for the upper and lower transistors, the circuit is completely symmetrical.
Old 27th July 2019, 01:46 PM   #5
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

Nice work, is this a 4-layer-design?
Old 27th July 2019, 04:16 PM   #6
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

0.15 ohm is a high value for on-resistance of a GaNFET, any particular reason for choosing 600V devices and paying that penalty?

Something more like 250V 10 milliohm would reduce device heat dissipation considerably, perhaps allowing the heatsink to just be the PCB. In bridge-mode even lower on-resistance devices become available, 100V 3 milliohm or so, giving 6 milliohm total in bridged. The size and weight advantages (no separate heatsink) can be traded for bigger/better inductors, reducing quiescent dissipation and temperatures even more.

Be interested to see what thermal performance you can get. On and off I am experimenting with a pair of EPC9203 half-bridge modules - not quite that power level, but 1.8 milliohm on-resistance.
Old 27th July 2019, 04:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormord View Post
Nice work, is this a 4-layer-design?
Thanks! yes, 4 layer.
Old 27th July 2019, 04:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tillotson View Post
0.15 ohm is a high value for on-resistance of a GaNFET, any particular reason for choosing 600V devices and paying that penalty?

Something more like 250V 10 milliohm would reduce device heat dissipation considerably, perhaps allowing the heatsink to just be the PCB. In bridge-mode even lower on-resistance devices become available, 100V 3 milliohm or so, giving 6 milliohm total in bridged. The size and weight advantages (no separate heatsink) can be traded for bigger/better inductors, reducing quiescent dissipation and temperatures even more.

Be interested to see what thermal performance you can get. On and off I am experimenting with a pair of EPC9203 half-bridge modules - not quite that power level, but 1.8 milliohm on-resistance.

Since the amplifier is essentially a voltage converter and the input current is not equal to the output current in my case, it is better to raise the supply voltage to, for example, +/- 100V. Then the static losses on the channel resistance will be scanty, since the current consumption is very low.

For this board, I expect samples from Transphorm. GAN cascode transistor 600V 110mOhm will be installed. The parameters of these keys are approximately equal to the best 100V silicon transistors.
Old 27th July 2019, 07:14 PM   #9
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

Yeah, i'd also assume much higher switching losses when using sub 10mR devices.
Old 28th July 2019, 10:04 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

All options have the right to life. GAN keys in modern case are not very convenient yet.
It seemed to me more interesting to make a universal platform for which you can use GAS keys, or ordinary silicon ones, as cascode. This is also due to the fact that existing solutions for GAN are not very suitable for audio, especially for half-bridge operation.

The results on the video - work on transistors IRFB5615.
The frequency of idling is 750k, the dead time is 7ns. When voltage is +/- 52V at idle, no radiator is required.

While these are preliminary results, I just collected this demo board just three days ago.

The dynamic parameters of the TPH3208 are slightly better than the IRFB5615, because, I think, after optimization, the amplifier can be switched on to the XX without a radiator to a supply voltage of about +/- 75V. For tougher modes, old IRFB4227 will do.

Amplifier module on driver SI2833Hide this!Advertise here!