[DIY Build Log] Mobile PA 12V/230V 2.1 Class D Amp Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a bit surprised the MDF held up so well. It should be ok as long as the paint is not damaged and not in contact with water or in moist air for longer periods of time. Every time I have seen MDF used in boats, sheds and bathrooms it was short lived/no succes.

Did you also use Warnex for the MTH-30 and did you paint the inside as well?

I'm a bit surprised the MDF held up so well. It should be ok as long as the paint is not damaged and not in contact with water or in moist air for longer periods of time. Every time I have seen MDF used in boats, sheds and bathrooms it was short lived/no succes.

Did you also use Warnex for the MTH-30 and did you paint the inside as well?

It had single layer of warnex on it, was standing in wet grass and puddles for 5 days at a time. Hasn't been a problem yet...

The inside of the horn outlet was painted as well.

Im still not sure what paint to use this time, maybe acrylic lacquer? Since warnex is water based, acrylic should be even better right?

If the Warnex protected so well, I would use it again.

No paint is 100% water / damp tight (epoxy is) and moist will creep in the MDF. (also by humid air if the inside is not painted)

If you keep it in a dry and non freezing environment after use in wet/moist conditions, the MDF has time to dry out again. (lowering the moist content in it) This will prolong its life.

Thin epoxy resin is a good base for fiber board based enclosures. It does not smell too bad, penetrates deep into the surface strengthening it, hardens 100% after calculated time, is resisting all kinds of chemicals, and is a good foundation for polyester filler and putty.
Putting dry sand on the wet epoxy and painting it later gives interesting finish. I love to play with this stuff. Cheap on the internet...

It had single layer of warnex on it
Im still not sure what paint to use this time, maybe acrylic lacquer? Since warnex is water based, acrylic should be even better right?
https://images.static-thomann.de/pics/atg/atgdata/document/specs/208234-3.pdf
1 K WARNEX texture paint Series 74
Product description: waterborne single-component texture paint
Binder type:
water-acrylic"

You used acrylic last time. :)

Impregnating epoxy is thin like water and the MFD will soak up lots of it; I would not use that and I would not use epoxy as paint as it is a lot more expensive then paint and not UV stable without an additive. A 2k polyurethane paint or clear coat will often be a better option. But is also expensive.

I would use the Warnex again and maybe paint the rest of the inside with (regular indoor wall) latex which will protect against condensation and very humid air. But can breath enough so that the MDF can dry out if the Warnex (on the outside) is punctured and the MDF got damp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.