Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Input signal too loud
Input signal too loud
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2019, 06:12 PM   #1
sjuft is offline sjuft
diyAudio Member

Post Input signal too loud

I have a portable audio system based on a Sure 2x100w TK2050.
But the volume input seems to loud when i turn to potentiometer (between input and amplifier) to maximum. This only happens when playing from laptop, and not from mp3. (I guess output is louder from laptop).
I usually just turn it down to where it sounds nice, but as i often lend it out to friends and such, i know people are gonna want to turn it up to max.

So what is the best solution to fix this?

My best idea is to just solder a resistor on the input, before the potentiometer.
But this makes the input from the mp3 too low. Is it possible to get a resistor which limits the signal power? So it only kicks in whenever its above a specific amount?

Or any other smart solutions?
Old 18th June 2019, 06:50 PM   #2
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

What you need is an "AGC" (Automatic Gain Control) but they are complicated if you want low distortion. A manual potentiometer is the right solution but requires that it is being used and not just left turned to maximum.
Variable resistors exist but not such that they on their own solve your problem.
Sorry!

Input signal too loudHide this!Advertise here!