Breeze Audio 3116 - OK to connect 'high level input' to subwoofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everybody

I want to use an active Sub-woofer with my Breeze Audio 3116.

Will it work ok if I connect a cable to the speaker terminals on the Breeze Audio 3116 to the high level input on a subwoofer?

Reading online the manual of a Sub-woofer I read that

Please Note: It may not be possible or advisable to connect the high level input directly to an amplifier that has a class d digital output. Please check with the supplier of your amplifier that this form of connection is possible.

Ud3WovI.png

...Thanks...

Hi

as i understand you...you want to drive your active subwoofer with the speakers terminal of the amp?...no that not the right way.
your signal goes via rca to the tpa3166 --> why you are not use here a y-cable to split the input signal to tpa3116 and the active subw? you will need a adapter to fit the neutrik.

chris

Hi

as i understand you...you want to drive your active subwoofer with the speakers terminal of the amp?...no that not the right way.
your signal goes via rca to the tpa3166 --> why you are not use here a y-cable to split the input signal to tpa3116 and the active subw? you will need a adapter to fit the neutrik.

chris

Hi guys thanks for the response. Typically subwoofers are connected via rca phono from a AV receiver amp (LFE channel).

In standard stereo hifi setup from what I've read especially with REL brand subwoofers its the recommended way. Heres a quote from a manual

The high level input* is designed to accept the stereo (two channel) signals from the speaker terminals of your receiver, integrated amplifier, and basic amplifiers. This has the advantage of ensuring that your subwoofer receives exactly the same signal as the main speakers, which means that the character of the bass from the main system is carried forward into the sub-bass. This is a very important point and together with the REL’s ABC circuitry, ensures far superior system integration of the sub-bass with the main system.

1 - the breeze audio is an integrated amp so you cannot split the low level input as this is before the volume control.
2 - the 3116 would be a bridged (BTL) amplifier so the black speaker connection is not at (0v, ground, insert favoured term here). This may well cause problems (ie damage) connecting speaker out to high level in. Hence the warning.
3 - a not very user-friendly workaround would be to keep the Breeze on full volume, split the RCA inputs for low level sub input, adjust sub level to suit and control volume through your source only (ie pc or phone volume setting).
4 - otherwise you would need to modify the Breeze by adding a sub-out connection after the volume control.

I'm not sure if this is an ideal / proper solution, but I did something similar with an "Absolute HLA600" speaker level to line level converter I found at Amazon. This particular converter is transformer coupled (which I assume would protect the floating ground outputs of the TPA3116) and the line output has a common ground. With this converter I was able to connect an ebay TPA3116 mono subwoofer board to a stereo TPA3116 amplifier board via the speaker outputs, paralleled with the left and right speakers. You do not need to connect the red, black and blue wires unless you want to use the auto turn on circuit.

Amazon.com: Absolute HLA600 2 Channel High Level to Low Converter Line Output with Ground Loop Isolator Built in signal Noise Eliminator: Car Electronics

Image of internals can be found here (second to last image), but check the Amazon reviews / comments for correct wiring colors:
Line Output Converters

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.