Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

What size amp do I need?
What size amp do I need?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2019, 03:50 PM   #1
McFluffels is offline McFluffels  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Australia
Default What size amp do I need?

Background:
I have built myself a pair of 2-way TQWT speakers based on the DC28F-8 (8ohm/50wrms) and DSA175-8 (8ohm/70wrms)
they sound good but my current amplifier is 2 x 25wrms.

What size amp do i need? 120 watts (50 + 70) max or only 50 watts per channel because of the tweeter or 60 watts the average of the two?
I do not have any experience with amp selection (obviously) and can really use some input on this matter.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 06:20 PM   #2
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: The mountains, calm and quiet.
What size amp do i need? You need an amplifier with the output power that can generate a sound pressure sufficient for the room where you use for the sound gear and for the type of music.

A strange formulation but indicating that it is not because you have speakers with a stated power of XXWatt that you also need an amplifier with that output power. As long as the amplifier is not distorting seriously, the output power in transients may significantly exceed the power rating of the speakers without damage. But, if the amplifier distorts importantly, the speakers may be harmed with an amplifier power below the rated speaker power. Next, if you have huge and powerful speakers in a small room, you have no benefit from an amplifier close to the power of the speakers. If you use such a powerful amplifier in the small room, you cannot stay in the room.

I'm no specialist in your question but for those very skilled in such topics most of us would like to know the size of the room, the type of music you normally enjoy and if you have a particular hearing deficit or prefer very loud sound levels.

Last edited by FauxFrench; 16th May 2019 at 06:25 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 06:26 PM   #3
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
6L6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
What size amp do I need?
Are you satisfied that the amp can play your speakers loud enough for your taste? If yes, then you are fine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 06:37 PM   #4
McFluffels is offline McFluffels  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Australia
The room is a large open plan living room with high ceilings roughly 6m x 6m x 3m approximately 108 cubic meters or 3800 cubic feet. I listen to country music about 60% of the time and rock, trap, hiphop the other 40%. Most songs tend have strong vocals and bass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 06:41 PM   #5
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
What size amp do I need?
As important as how much power an amp is rated at, is how well it recovers from clipping. It is possible for a 20w amp to play louder than a 200w simply because of the nature of your amps clipping.

You can completely disregard the speakers power rating when choosing a amplifier (partially because speaker power ratings have no standard).

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 06:47 PM   #6
McFluffels is offline McFluffels  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Australia
Thanks for the reply! If i can disregard the power rating I might go with a Crown xls1002 or a Yamaha networked stereo amp.
Do you have any particular personal recommendations?
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 06:48 PM   #7
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
What size amp do I need?
Quote:
Crown xls1002 or a Yamaha networked stereo amp
I haven’t really heard any of the recent variations of these, but not a place i’d be looking for a quality amp.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 06:56 PM   #8
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member
 
KaffiMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grua, not far from Oslo.
What size amp do I need?
... which yamaha networked stereo amp would that be?
At any rate, you might as well have asked "which style and size garage do I need?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 07:07 PM   #9
chermann is offline chermann  Austria
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Vienna
Hi

as my co write comment...
the rating of the speakers says nothing about the "needed" amp.
speakers/amp . speakers are rate for the max power level what they can do....very important is the linear hub(movement) of a quality chassis...its like the tires of the car...you can go up to e.g. 240 speed but its not needed. so you amp just have 20-30W into 8 ohms and you will have a loud not distortion sound. thats the target.

are you interested in doing some DIY work?...pimp a ready amp or you look for an "commercial" amp.

after 30 years....and after 2 years DIY...i personally will not buy any commercial amp now
chris
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 07:08 PM   #10
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: The mountains, calm and quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFluffels View Post
The room is a large open plan living room with high ceilings roughly 6m x 6m x 3m approximately 108 cubic meters or 3800 cubic feet. I listen to country music about 60% of the time and rock, trap, hiphop the other 40%. Most songs tend have strong vocals and bass.

To be a bit specific this time, with a good size living and music that may have dominant bass I would assume some 2x100-120W should do.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


What size amp do I need?Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Enclosure size for stereo drivers in one enclosure? Passive radiator size? skuliaxe Full Range 8 10th November 2017 09:02 PM
In midbass size matters. But which size matters? LewinskiH01 Multi-Way 24 10th July 2015 05:25 PM
Will baffle size affect sealed enclosure size? PhilEV Construction Tips 6 27th February 2015 08:48 PM
PORT size vs SPEAKER size Tomom Multi-Way 14 27th October 2012 12:09 AM
Speaker size v Room size cliffy Room Acoustics & Mods 6 19th February 2005 08:34 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2019 diyAudio
Wiki