Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Spectrum of Class D 1kHz Signal Before/After Filter
Spectrum of Class D 1kHz Signal Before/After Filter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2019, 12:04 PM   #1
shadders is offline shadders  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Spectrum of Class D 1kHz Signal Before/After Filter

Hi,
I have searched the forum, and multiple threads, but was unable to locate any pictures of a class D amplifier outputting a 1kHz signal, with the spectrum before and after the output filter.

I did search Google too - and none were easily found.

What has spurred this that when a class D amplifier is tested in regards to THD, they use a 22kHz filter, yet class A, A/B or other, they usually use a 80kHz filter. The claim is that nothing can be heard above 20kHz, so the use of 22kHz filter for class D is appropriate. I am ambivalent in this aspect, but i would like to examine any class D output above 20kHz with a 1kHz test tone.

As such, does anyone have links to existing spectrum plots of class D amplifiers with a 1 kHz test tone, before and after the output filter ?.

Thanks and regards,
Shadders.

Last edited by shadders; 13th May 2019 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 13th May 2019, 06:07 PM   #2
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

You can't see the spectrum properly on an audio analyzer, it goes up to GHz. (And RF spectrum analyzer's seldom go below 10kHz)

Last edited by Mark Tillotson; 13th May 2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 13th May 2019, 06:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I am looking for an oscilloscope output of the class D amplifier before and after the filter, where someone has calculated FFT of the signal.

AP refer to this as per the following website : Class d and linear power amplifier testing Slide 11 and 12 details, but i would prefer a graphic that i can post elsewhere and one with more detail than the AP slides.

Regards,
Shadders.
Old 13th May 2019, 07:32 PM   #4
MorbidFractal is offline MorbidFractal
diyAudio Member

Model it. May not be the best example but...

Three Level PWM amplifier
Old 13th May 2019, 08:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Thanks. I did want the plots for an actual amplifier so that there were no arguments that it is not representative.

I am surprised that such plots were not on DIY Audio - it would have been the first thing i did should i have purchased or built a class D amplifier.

Regards,
Shadders.
Old 13th May 2019, 11:32 PM   #6
kokoriantz is offline kokoriantz  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

Since a month I am learning about class d amplifiers, and as you I am looking for real measurements . If I found much more about PWM for motor drive than audio , but It gives good understanding about distortion due to dead time . Document AN1071 from IR shows scope pictures of DT distortion for 40ns and 15ns , but TI patent REDUCTION OF DEAD-TIME DISTORTION IN CLASS D AMPLIFIERS - Patent application (Pure Path) explains things differently . The distortion is very similar to cross over type with 5th harmonics .

Spectrum of Class D 1kHz Signal Before/After FilterHide this!Advertise here!