Spectrum of Class D 1kHz Signal Before/After Filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have searched the forum, and multiple threads, but was unable to locate any pictures of a class D amplifier outputting a 1kHz signal, with the spectrum before and after the output filter.

I did search Google too - and none were easily found.

What has spurred this that when a class D amplifier is tested in regards to THD, they use a 22kHz filter, yet class A, A/B or other, they usually use a 80kHz filter. The claim is that nothing can be heard above 20kHz, so the use of 22kHz filter for class D is appropriate. I am ambivalent in this aspect, but i would like to examine any class D output above 20kHz with a 1kHz test tone.

As such, does anyone have links to existing spectrum plots of class D amplifiers with a 1 kHz test tone, before and after the output filter ?.

Thanks and regards,
Shadders.

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks. I did want the plots for an actual amplifier so that there were no arguments that it is not representative.

I am surprised that such plots were not on DIY Audio - it would have been the first thing i did should i have purchased or built a class D amplifier.

Regards,
Shadders.

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Since a month I am learning about class d amplifiers, and as you I am looking for real measurements . If I found much more about PWM for motor drive than audio , but It gives good understanding about distortion due to dead time . Document AN1071 from IR shows scope pictures of DT distortion for 40ns and 15ns , but TI patent REDUCTION OF DEAD-TIME DISTORTION IN CLASS D AMPLIFIERS - Patent application (Pure Path) explains things differently . The distortion is very similar to cross over type with 5th harmonics .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.