TPA3xxx users , please listen to this music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Thank you for your notification . The recording is excellent, even with pad/earphone is perfect . You can hear with your own ears how distortion numbers do not reflect the reality of sound quality . I can show numerous Latino music that doesn't pass neither .

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
I have this song on CD by Yuliet Topaz , it is the same phenomena . The distortion is due to the hysteresis of the comparator (according to me), but can be cleared off by using current sources at the differential inputs .
Chermann , what is your TPA ?

kokoriantz, in case you missed it, I am questioning your choice of reference.
IMO it is by far sub-optimal for testing purposes.

Youtube is not the best source of "quality sound", even if it says 320kbps, a huge part of it is 128kbs or lower that has been simply increased to newer VBR with some filters in between.
Please take the opportunity to provide a better quality audio sample of your choice, and use that as a frame of reference, providing a link so people can get the exact same file and format you are using.

Anything else is sub-par.

If you are testing with CD quality and everyone else hears a horrible quality mp3 with loads of artifacts from poor compression algorithms, then it's no wonder your test is so successful.

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Kaffiman , I appreciate your interest of this phenomena . In fact this is my first experience in class D amp since 1979 . By then I was confronted by horizontal limitation of PMW frequency, and vertically ,the hysteresis of first generation comparators. When I received the TPA3116 mono module , first I passed my fatigue test
YouTube mussorgski fatigue test From CD.
I recorded it for personal use to compare after modification . A few minutes starting the recording , I had to find refuge on the balcony as it was so horrible . I posted the recording done by the camera's mic with AGC , on
YouTube . Later I found that music containing washboard in jazz or similar ones used in Porto Rico music (see grupo Karis ) , produces some kind of modulation due to the hysteresis of the comparator , according to my past experience . I will try to measure distortion/modulation of a sinusoidal signal by such instrument sound played by a synthesizer . With TPA3116 it is so dirty that I must see something on measurements . This can help class D designers to measure distortion particular to this type of amps . If you listen to such music with analog amp MP3 or not , it passes without any noticeable un comfort.

Last edited:
@kokonuts

Today CD player are available for very little money. If you want to compare sound quality of your equipment, buy one and some CD´s with a good audiophile reputation.

Don´t use any funny recordings from cheap cameras or what ever you consider reverence. Ignore anything “you-tube”. No MP3 played from any no cost/low cost sound card...

This way you will realize that most of your painful ear experiences where unnecessary.

Maybe even some awfull sounding 3116 amp´s will suddenly sound like many objective listeners rate them: Better than a lot of old A/B amps that are considered to sound very good.

Also,you will be able to hear what your “conversions” and “tuning” do to these amps. Maybe more harm than good.

Bashing anything around can become a habit.

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Turbowach2 , thank you for posting your disgust about my experiment , which indicates by how much your beloved amplifier is sounding so bad . How about comparative listening to 300B recorded with a professional condenser unidirectional mic without AGC , source LG DVD & optic fiber linked 24b/192khz dac.

Here is Matt Garman's input for TDA8932. Note the 4 of 470R. It will play your track.
677291d1524780423-fasten-seat-belts-tda8932-pessimistic-review-tda8932_input-jpg

P.S.
Also, I have that TPA3116 PBTL module with its abnormally severe source to amp mismatch. I suppose that we bought a made-for-selling (not made-for-using) module, and that the audio problem is not located inside the chip.
Even so, plentiful evidence for the need of more effective application notes. Typical for chips, the parts can do better quality than the documentation allows for.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.