Repair Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So here is my issue
I have two RedDragon MKII500 monos and last year they both quit working.
Yes, last year. Between work and knee surgery I havent had time to do much.

We had a lightning storm and when I went to turn the amps on both would not work. Light on front panel does not turn on.
So I did a reset(unplugged a few days) Checked fuse, including the fuse on the power board and both are ok.

I dont know what to do from here and shipping them to WryedForSound for repair seems like it would not worth it. Or maybe it is?

I thought about replacing the boards with new one ( PE ICE module) but have never built one.Is it relatively simple?

Even help with diagnosis would be great

Thanks!!

Lightning is most likely to have taken out the power supplies, though further damage is also possible. The light not working suggests the power supply is indeed fried (lightning damage is far faster than any fuse can prevent, basically a few kV voltage spike probably sailed through the supply taking out several semiconductor devices.

Normally there would be a MOV on the mains input to tame such spikes. If not its a false economy in the design.

If its possible to get a new power supply board, or use a bench supply for testing, you could see if the amps themselves are OK.

Ok. Dont want to sound to novice but which is which?

Attachments

• IMG_20190425_194035285.jpg
    IMG_20190425_194035285.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20190425_194125625.jpg
    IMG_20190425_194125625.jpg
    869.5 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
I did not know Red Dragon Audio but it seems like serious gear, "Proudly Built in the U.S.A.". ICEpower based.
Your second photo seems to show the power supply and amplifier board (seems combined on one board).
It is not going to be easy for yourself to track down the defect(s) on such boards. They are compact an rather populated. If you anyway do, you have to draw up at least a part of the circuit - the part with the power supply.
If it isn't the fuses, it is often the power FET(S) or the IC(s) driving the FET(s).
As I said before, it is not an easy job. A pity.

I did not know Red Dragon Audio but it seems like serious gear, "Proudly Built in the U.S.A.". ICEpower based.
Your second photo seems to show the power supply and amplifier board (seems combined on one board).
It is not going to be easy for yourself to track down the defect(s) on such boards. They are compact an rather populated. If you anyway do, you have to draw up at least a part of the circuit - the part with the power supply.
If it isn't the fuses, it is often the power FET(S) or the IC(s) driving the FET(s).
As I said before, it is not an easy job. A pity.

Yeah I may bite the bullet and send them out to Ca.
I was trying to avoid it but dosent look like an easy DIY fix for someone who dose not know anything about these boards.

Appriciate all the help

If the amps were off (the switch above the IEC power jack turned off) during the lightning storm, it is hard to imagine the power surge could jump the power switch and get to the board inside....

can you check to see if 110v AC is present on the board? (the black/white wire connector next to the white fuse?).

If the amps were off (the switch above the IEC power jack turned off) during the lightning storm, it is hard to imagine the power surge could jump the power switch and get to the board inside....

can you check to see if 110v AC is present on the board? (the black/white wire connector next to the white fuse?).

I finally got to check, and YES there is 120v going to the board.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.