connecting dual differential output ground to single ground connection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Good day
I own a yamaha mcr-b142 player which has YDA164C-QZ (with differential outputs)audio amplifier chip built in.I wanted to connect a vu meter into the player.As this player doesn't come with line level out, I've connected its speaker outputs to following arduino based vu meter.Also tried earphone out,but the output from that jack was too low.my question is, is it ok to connect two speaker grounds to single arduino gnd input? I've tested this setup for few days without trouble. Will this affect amplifier in long term? Thank you.

arduino_peak_stereo_vu_meter.png

Hi All,

Good day
I own a yamaha mcr-b142 player which has YDA164C-QZ (with differential outputs)audio amplifier chip built in.I wanted to connect a vu meter into the player.As this player doesn't come with line level out, I've connected its speaker outputs to following arduino based vu meter.Also tried earphone out,but the output from that jack was too low.my question is, is it ok to connect two speaker grounds to single arduino gnd input? I've tested this setup for few days without trouble. Will this affect amplifier in long term? Thank you.

Help Please :confused:

Internal block diagram of the amplifier chip is on page 5:

https://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/-8663743355536566819

As a full-bridge output stage (on each channel), if you connect an output to ground, the high-side FET will be switching the power supply rail straight to ground. That's... undesirable, as i'm sure you can imagine.

Also, since the "speaker grounds" are not, in fact, grounded, and since thus there's no guarantee the same signals come out of them, even connecting those two together isn't the best idea.

On the bright side though, your Arduino is battery-powered. By virtue of it being essentially "floating" (ie. independent of the amplifier ground), and/or whatever protections the amp chip contains, you didn't fry the amp outputs.

Internal block diagram of the amplifier chip is on page 5:

https://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/-8663743355536566819

As a full-bridge output stage (on each channel), if you connect an output to ground, the high-side FET will be switching the power supply rail straight to ground. That's... undesirable, as i'm sure you can imagine.

Also, since the "speaker grounds" are not, in fact, grounded, and since thus there's no guarantee the same signals come out of them, even connecting those two together isn't the best idea.

On the bright side though, your Arduino is battery-powered. By virtue of it being essentially "floating" (ie. independent of the amplifier ground), and/or whatever protections the amp chip contains, you didn't fry the amp outputs.

Many Thanks for the reply.
Arduino is operating from 5v smps and not from a battery.
So I'll drop the idea of using speaker outputs.
Earphone output seems only option available & I need to open the unit for it. :(
I'll try to amplify that signal through a simple amplifier circuit.
Appreciate your help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.