Crown CTs2000 and Cts3000 channel 2 clipping on idle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 2 amps CTS 3000/2000 that came for repair. The 3000 had a blown smps which I manage to fix finding a couple of vias raised and burnt links and the crowbar scr blown. Connecting the amp to the power source with a current limiter (heating element) the amp came on but channel two started to indicate that there was a signal on the input. Checking the output with a scope I found out that an irregular oscillation was coming out of channel 2. After a short while (5sec) the clipping indicator lights up and the output dies.
Checking the gate drives these where both good and I also interchanged them and the fault still persists on channel 2. I also interchanged the the other two modules which when fitted on the good channel both worked good. I have a schematic which I downloaded. I tried to follow around but could not find anything faulty. The amp was fully dismantled and cleaned and also checked what I could for any apparent fault but could not find any.
Has anyone found a similar fault maybe he or she could highlight me where to look for such a fault? I spent hours looking around and did not come to any conclusion yet.
Is there any service manual available? or maybe a repair guide?

Last edited:
Hello, I have the same problem with CTS 2000 . I fix broken smps & replace damaged power transistors, also replace broken gate drivers and all around. The amp is power up & sound but after 5-10 sec stay to clip. If you fix same problem, can I ask you tell me how?)

I need a Crown CTS 2000/3000 service manual as well. I'd happily pay for one, but I can't find anyone willing to part with or share one!

I've got the service manual for the CTS 600/1200s, but I haven't been able to find one anywhere for the CTS 2000/3000s. Never again will I purchase a power amp without a matching service manual.

A few decades ago Hitachi even printed the schematic on the last page of the owners manual of HIFI gear. The Schematics where made perfectly understandable and had any part´s detail.
It is the Chinese copy cats that don´t hand out schematics, because it would be to easy to see which product they copied. Because they used schematics to steal designs, they believe someone would steal their stolen intellectual property. Funny that thieves are so afraid of getting robbed... especially from Western consumers.
By the way, good morning LJM!

Hello, I have the same problem with CTS 2000 . I fix broken smps & replace damaged power transistors, also replace broken gate drivers and all around. The amp is power up & sound but after 5-10 sec stay to clip. If you fix same problem, can I ask you tell me how?)

A bit late for this reply but I found out that if there is not the full mains voltage this fault will occur. If all seems well remove the current limiter in the mains input. It might indicate a false fault because of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.