TDA8954 VS. TDA8950 DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO

• TDA8954

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • TDA8950

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys! I'm new here. I'm still a newbie with regards to circuit design so please bear with me.

So I have this TDA8954 Class D Amplifier IC and I want to study every pins of it. Last time, I'm using TDA8950 IC for my amplifier. What is the difference between TDA8954 vs. TDA8950?

Please enlighten me regarding on the new pins that was added to TDA8954. That's pin 4, 5 and 6 (Diag1, Diag2 and OSCREF).

Thank you so much and have a great day ahead! :)

Hi guys! I'm new here. I'm still a newbie with regards to circuit design so please bear with me.

So I have this TDA8954 Class D Amplifier IC and I want to study every pins of it. Last time, I'm using TDA8950 IC for my amplifier. What is the difference between TDA8954 vs. TDA8950?

Please enlighten me regarding on the new pins that was added to TDA8954. That's pin 4, 5 and 6 (Diag1, Diag2 and OSCREF).

Thank you so much and have a great day ahead! :)

The datasheet sections 8.2 and 8.3 explain the purpose:
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/TDA8954.pdf
Pin 5 (OSCREF) is added for setting the carrier frequency but it is not clear to me why an extra pin has been added to pin 1 for this purpose.
Is your TDA8950 amplifier in a working state? If yes, did you have any problems making it work? The reason I ask is that I have more TDA8950 chips awaiting time to be implemented in amplifiers and I have been told that TDA8954 can be difficult. Any issues with TDA8950?

Yes, I know the datasheet promises up to 2x235 (3 Ohm load) under ideal circumstances. TDA8954 exists in two versions: the HSOP24 version for SMD mounting and the DBS23P version for traditional "through hole" mounting and with a tap for connection to a heatsink.
I have a board with TDA8954 in the SMD version. Assume an efficiency of 85% at full throttle and imagine how you are going to transfer in the order of 50-60W from the small cooling pad (SMD) and to the heatsink. It will be very difficult. Better is to use the DBS23P-version which has a chance of such a heat transfer. Next, NXP proposes a BTL-coupling using one chip per channel (mono). Then you have only half the heat to get rid of in each of two chips.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.