1st DIY amp build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am new to diy audio and thinking about building a 2 channel class D amp. I want roughly 50-100 w per channel. Someone previously suggested a wondom aa-32313. I am not sure what else I need in order to turn this into a stereo receiver.. (power supply, etc?). Does anyone have any suggestions? Build plans, good diy kits or any other recommendations are appreciated.

I am new to diy audio, but I am a mechanical engineer. I have semi decent knowledge of electronics. Things like soldering, designing a sheet metal chassis are not a problem.

Thanks.

Hi

Welcome here... :)

your inputs are not much (butgete, amp and then "just" modding, or boards,...) but maybe look and read this threads to get an idea of different way fo an amp:
TPA3116D2 Amp
TDA7492 Amp
Ebay cheap TDA7498 boards
200W IRS2092 Amp for $20

chris

Thanks, some of what I’m reading online / YouTube makes building a Class D amplifier sound incredibly easy... almost suspiciously easy.

YouTube

This link above for example, it seems pretty legitimate. But almost as if it’s too easy / cheep? Or is this really all there is to it?

Hi, I am new to diy audio and thinking about building a 2 channel class D amp. I want roughly 50-100 w per channel. Someone previously suggested a wondom aa-32313. I am not sure what else I need in order to turn this into a stereo receiver.. (power supply, etc?). Does anyone have any suggestions? Build plans, good diy kits or any other recommendations are appreciated.

I am new to diy audio, but I am a mechanical engineer. I have semi decent knowledge of electronics. Things like soldering, designing a sheet metal chassis are not a problem.

Thanks.

When you say "building an amp" are you referring to actually soldering the components to the circuit board or are you referring to getting the assembled amp, power supply, pre-amp, etc.?
Both are a lot of fun and very doable but are different approaches to a similar outcome. I've done both ways and really enjoy the projects.
Mike

When you say "building an amp" are you referring to actually soldering the components to the circuit board or are you referring to getting the assembled amp, power supply, pre-amp, etc.?
Both are a lot of fun and very doable but are different approaches to a similar outcome. I've done both ways and really enjoy the projects.
Mike

I’m really not sure which direction to go. Basically I want to build a stereo receiver. To run off 115VAC standard household power. 100+ watts per channel. Preferably less than $400. I have the ability to follow any instruction in terms of soldering, and putting components together. But I’m not knowledgeable in terms of electrical engineering enough to design one on my own. Designing a chassis is pretty easy for me, so that’s one thing I’m not too concerned with.

I’ll take any recommendations you have.

I'm using a Hi-FiMeDIY T3S amp and an SMPS300R power supply at the moment. I love it. I don't have a tuner integrated, so it's not a "receiver," but I'm sure there are tuners available. Other than the amp and power supply, you'll need a power switch, power cord, volume control, speaker terminals, and RCA input jacks. It was a fun project and it sounds great.
I run it from a DAC connected to my computer, all through a 10-band graphic equalizer. It's a very simple system, and I love it. I ordered a pre-amp with volume, bass, treble, and balance to try with it.
One issue to watch for with the Wondom and the like is the power rating. Many times it's listed "@10% THD." Other than that, they can be a part of a fun decent system.
I can post more photos of mine if you'd like, but here's a simple one.
ENJOY YOUR PROJECT, whichever direction you choose,
Mike

HiFiMeDIY Amp

Attachments

• HiFiMeDIY Amp.jpg
    HiFiMeDIY Amp.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 115
I'm using a Hi-FiMeDIY T3S amp and an SMPS300R power supply at the moment. I love it. I don't have a tuner integrated, so it's not a "receiver," but I'm sure there are tuners available. Other than the amp and power supply, you'll need a power switch, power cord, volume control, speaker terminals, and RCA input jacks. It was a fun project and it sounds great.
I run it from a DAC connected to my computer, all through a 10-band graphic equalizer. It's a very simple system, and I love it. I ordered a pre-amp with volume, bass, treble, and balance to try with it.
One issue to watch for with the Wondom and the like is the power rating. Many times it's listed "@10% THD." Other than that, they can be a part of a fun decent system.
I can post more photos of mine if you'd like, but here's a simple one.
ENJOY YOUR PROJECT, whichever direction you choose,
Mike

HiFiMeDIY Amp

Thanks for the advice... here’s an example of how new at this I am: what’s a tuner?

Do you already have speakers?

What would you be using for a source: computer, CD player, MP3 player, etc.?

I'll gladly share as much of my experience as I can, but I'm no engineer and was an electronic tech MANY years ago. Also, what sounds good to me, might not sound good to someone else.
I have seen a lot of great advice on this forum, but it can easily go over my head. It can be overwhelming to the point of desperation sometimes. I'm a very simple guy and I don't judge a new guy to the hobby for not knowing something. It's a hobby, and hobbies should be enjoyed and shared.
Mike

Also, I do not have speakers yet. I’ve got a few options in mind from reviews I’ve been reading online. Klipsch rp 600m seems to be a good option, Or potentially building a pair myself. Not really sure. I do not know the technical terms, I’m eager to learn, but maybe for my 1st project something relatively simple / inexpensive Incase I screw something up haha.

I've built all the speakers I use. I have some brand name (JBL, Dynaco, Bose), some of which I purchased back in the '70s. I like building my own though. There are a lot of great DIY options that are simple builds and are very affordable (pair of raw speaker for less than $100, and others less expensive than that). The size of your woodworking skills, budget, listening area, your taste in music, and your expectations all play a role in what would be best. There are many good sets that come with the cabinets (Speaker & Subwoofer Kits in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 286) that only need glued together and finished (stain, paint, veneer, etc.)
A guy really can have a much better than average system, all DIY, and relatively inexpensive.
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.