TA2020 Overvoltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I accidently connected an 18V DC power supply to the old Arjen Helder MKIII TA2020 amp and now there is no output. Will powering up with mute and fault pins jumpered provide the necessary reset? Text from the TA2020 datasheet seems to indicate this may be the case, but it also says powering down will effect the reset and that has not worked.

Also, I see that there are TA2020 chips still for sale on eBay, with a KOREA or CHINA stenciled chip going for $3 and even a USA chip for $16.95 (sold by Dalbani). What gives with this, any reason not to get the $3 chip if the need arises?

The chip on the Arjen Helder amp has KOREA on it.

The same $16.95 chip sold by Dalbani can be obtained for $3.20 from ALI here:

2pcs TA2020 020 package ZIP32 20W Digital Amplifier IC Audio Stereo-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Though it looks like one buyer got a KOREA branded and was not happy.

FROM TA2020 DATASHEET:

O v e r - c u r r e n t P r o t e c t i o n
An over-current fault occurs if more than approximately 7 amps of current flows from any of the amplifier
output pins. This can occur if the speaker wires are shorted together or if one side of the speaker is
shorted to ground. An over-current fault sets an internal latch that can only be cleared if the MUTE pin is
toggled or if the part is powered down. Alternately, if the MUTE pin is connected to the FAULT pin, the
HIGH output of the FAULT pin will toggle the MUTE pin and automatically reset the fault condition.

Last edited:
Short answer; Yer Fooked.
TA chips (genuine ones ) stopped being available in ~2006.
Only half the die copies remain.
In actual fact.. My Guaranteed "genuine" ta 2020 by/from Arjen No less ... GRRR ..was a worthless Fake.. It crapped out within an hours use AND it sounded terrible. Circus logic ended production 14 Yrs ago .. it's over!

Upon inspection, trace from power input to the storage cap has been lifted. Measure 1.2 ohm across power input (max 13.5V, but I loaded it with 18V to failure) and 1.2 and 4.5 ohm across speaker terminals. Looks like chip has been demolished. Ordered 2 TA2020 from ALI for $3.20 shipped! At $1.60 per chip, chances are good they are genuine, right? :).

If profusionplc is to be believed, the genuine chips are marked USA.

Attachments

• burnt trace.JPG
    burnt trace.JPG
    713.1 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Upon inspection, trace from power input to the storage cap has been lifted. Measure 1.2 ohm across power input (max 13.5V, but I loaded it with 18V to failure) and 1.2 and 4.5 ohm across speaker terminals. Looks like chip has been demolished. Ordered 2 TA2020 from ALI for $3.20 shipped! At $1.60 per chip, chances are good they are genuine, right? :).

If profusionplc is to be believed, the genuine chips are marked USA.

Chances are good that they will play. Chances are poor that they are genuine if you mean produced during the period Tripath still existed. Chances are fair that they are produced legitimately with permission from Cirrus Logic. Chances are fair that they are produced by a Korean wafer house that also worked for Tripath in the past.
Please let us know if they work when you have done the replacement. You are not the only one to continue listening to Tripath.
Good luck.

I received a pair of TA2020 from China today (about $2/per) and I provide some pics. These came from the same vendor, but oddly enough, don't match! The "USA" model has the print stenciled, the one on the right or "Korea" model at least has the logo etched. The casing looks to be from different molds. I think I'm going to go with installed the etched chip.

Attachments

• P4250549.JPG
    P4250549.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 168
  • P4250550.JPG
    P4250550.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 146
  • P4250551.JPG
    P4250551.JPG
    301.8 KB · Views: 127
For completeness, the TA2020 that came with the Arjen kit, similar to the etched version I just received, but the font is not quite identical, the pins are gold, and the heat sink is copper. Disregard the spot on the back, that is some epoxy from another project that founds its way onto the chip. All chips weigh 13 grams.

Attachments

• P4250552.JPG
    P4250552.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 120
  • P4250554.JPG
    P4250554.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.