Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Linear power supply for amptastic mini-1
Linear power supply for amptastic mini-1
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2019, 11:32 PM   #1
ljbrandt is offline ljbrandt
diyAudio Member

Default Linear power supply for amptastic mini-1

I am soon to be in possession of 2 amptastic mini-1 digital amps (they use the ta2020 chip). I will be setting them up to run in a vertically biamped configuration with my desktop speakers. I'd like to feed them power from a astron regulated linear power supply, but I'd like to know if they can both be powered from a single astron unit, assuming it can provide enough amperage, such as an rs12a. Opinions appreciated
Old 22nd March 2019, 03:16 PM   #2
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

Astron RS12A should give 12V-12A (144W). With "vertically biamped" I assume you mean two TA2020 channels (2 per TA2020 chip) for each stereo channel. That can be done with a single RS12A. Make sure you have sufficient decoupling of the 12V either in the RS12A, outside of the RS12A or at the Amptastic Mini-1 boards. The RS12A seems to be designed for CB use.
Old 23rd March 2019, 12:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you. I read somewhere that the ta2020 chips cannot share a common ground, so I wasn't sure if that pertained to a shared power supply or not. It looks like a single astron lps would work then. Any suggestions on an alternative that may work better for audio? The astron seems to be a popular choice though for lower powered chip amps.
Old 23rd March 2019, 01:20 PM   #4
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

I am not sure about your concerns regarding "common ground". The TA2020 uses BTL and separate A-GND and P-GND. They have to be connected appropriately. As I see it, you can use a single supply.

Last edited by FauxFrench; 23rd March 2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 26th March 2019, 01:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
I am not sure about your concerns regarding "common ground". The TA2020 uses BTL and separate A-GND and P-GND. They have to be connected appropriately. As I see it, you can use a single supply.
thank you

Linear power supply for amptastic mini-1Hide this!Advertise here!