ICEPower 50asx2 kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm interesting in 50asx2 kit for desktop use. Speakers are KEF Q150 and Elipson Studio Pro (Vifa XT25/HDS).
I think to order the module from PE and case from ghentaudio.
It is my first amp build so something not expensive with good reviews like the ICEPower should be good start point.
Any other recommendations? place to buy case from?

Thanks,

Itamar.

Profusion and Parts Express sell IcePower modules:
Icepower audio components at Profusion
ICEpower Product Line at Parts Express

125asx2 has lowish and non-stable input imedance (8KOhm, falling towards high frequencies). You need a DAC or pre-amp with low output impedance to drive them properly.

If your DAC has balanced outputs, ICEmatch series may be a better choise. ICEmatch's input impedance is 47KOhm which means they will accept almost every source. miniDSP offers pre-built 16 channel ICEmatch-based amp for $1000.

modushop and ghentaudio make cases.

For slightly more than $200 I'd buy a factory-made amp. For example Monacor STA-400D with Hypex UCD

Last edited:
I have PS Audio Nuwave DSD DAC in the living room with the Elipson Studio Pro and soon with Jeff Bagby Adelphos.
In the office I have only the KEF Q150 and crappy receiver for now. I thought to purchase used preamp/dac, something like Marantz HD-DAC1 / Pro-Ject S2D / (I can purchase used now) or maybe miniDSP, to combine with 125asx2/50asx2..(Do I need preamp for minidsp+power?)
All fresh thoughts...

The Monacor looks like great amp, I can use it in the future for the living room (NUWAVE + ADELPHOS).
Are there more hypex ready amps in good price like the Monacor?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I bought 2 125asx2 modules from the first ebay link. They are the real deal. Installed in Ghentaudio cases with rtx modules, probably a bit overkill for a desk top system. In my opinion 125asx2 is a much better value than the 50asx2 at the moment. I tried a topping d50 and a Sabaj Da3 dac which worked fine without balanced inputs straight into the ice module.

Its not original packaging. I highly doubt these come in original factory packaging from anyone. Icepower will not sell to people like you and me, only wholesale to manufactures. 125 usd is what maybe 110 euros(approx) and then not sure what happens on your end with taxes and Vat. In Canada I paid no taxes or custom fees. So you are right, I may potentially have problems if I need warranty repair but in my mind at these prices its like a "final sale transaction" anyways. I wont lie, it is DIY. If your not comfortable with that def buy a ready made package with warranty and product support.

If I lived in Europe I would be looking at the hypex modules, but really I dont know enough about them. For North America I dont really see much better value than Icemodules off Ebay. You get so much more value for your dollar buying from Chinese Vendors and hopefully Ebay will protect(false sense) my purchases.

Valid points.

But you won't get a complete Hypex amplifier for the price of the Ebay offerings, and with a bit of luck it slips through customs so no import taxes etc.
Ironically, Hypex Netherlands is situated about 20 miles from where i live.. ;)

Well, I'll sleep on it.

Thanks for comments guys.
I contacted the first seller, and asked him if he can declare on 65$~ for customs fee - he agreed, just ask to remind him at purchase.
Since the ICEPower are x2 and way cheaper than the hypex atm, I think to try the 125asx2. It is overkill for KEF Q150 but not for my Elipson which move someday to desktop. If the ICEPower will be so good I will use in the living room with Adelphos speakers in the future.

gsrchrisu - RTX module means it makes the 125asx2 with fully balanced XLR instead of RCA?
In my DAC my best output supposed to be the XLR.

Last edited:
Get the RTX modules which i believe includes the much needed input buffer (confirm w Ghent first, he provides excellent service) Without the buffer, sound will be affected and you’ll have greatly reduced high frequency response because of the low 8k input impedance.

The IcePower 300 series doesn’t need the input buffer, their input impedance is a normal 47k ohm.

BR
Eric

Get the RTX modules which i believe includes the much needed input buffer (confirm w Ghent first, he provides excellent service) Without the buffer, sound will be affected and you’ll have greatly reduced high frequency response because of the low 8k input impedance.

The IcePower 300 series doesn’t need the input buffer, their input impedance is a normal 47k ohm.

BR
Eric

Where can I find the ASC series for sale? I only saw it in parts express but it will back to stock in 2 months.

The price of the RTX costs almost as a case, what makes me think to go with 200/300ASC or hypex UCD 180 HxR. (saw the UcD180 HXR on DIYclassd for 100 euros).

BTW - ghentaudio doesnt have on stock the RTX +6dB / 10K..Is this the model the 125asx2 needs?
ghentaudio --- RTX (unbalnced RCA to balanced XLR Converting) Module

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just orderd the RTX 100K input buffer!

If I understand right, the input buffer will fix the impedance dropping in the high freqs?
And, It will make the RCA signal FULLY BALANCED throw the RCA connector?
It means I can connect it to my fully balanced XLR outpot in my DAC and it will run balanced signal?
I don't really care about the XLR, I just want to get it understand.

Thanks!

The module will fix the drop if there is a buffer.

If your DAC is fully balanced then you need to order the Ghent 125asx2 with XLR input connectors.

If you use RCA connectors it will be single ended, not balanced.

It’s best to talk to Ghent, tell him what you have and he will guide you. Ask him for the 200ASC back panel, they will fit the 125asx2 enclosure and have XLR connectors.

Sorry about this, I wasn’t aware your DAC was balanced.

BR
Eric

Last edited:
I was not clear enough, it is OK.
I mailed ghent and he recommend me the 100K, but I didn't tell anything about my DAC.
I currently have PS Audio Nuwave DSD DAC, which its XLR DAC sounds better than the RCA, PS Audio recommend using the XLR even the power is not fully balanced.
I'm planning to purchase another DAC very soon, I think about the SMSL SU-8 which has great measurement in AudioScienceReview, it has fully balanced.
The Amp will be use with the SMSL SU-8 which has XLR but I don't care use it RCA.
My order on hold.

Thanks for you reply!

Itamar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.