Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

ICEPower 50asx2 kit
ICEPower 50asx2 kit
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2019, 08:06 AM   #1
Ita0101 is offline Ita0101  Israel
diyAudio Member

Default ICEPower 50asx2 kit

Hi,

I'm interesting in 50asx2 kit for desktop use. Speakers are KEF Q150 and Elipson Studio Pro (Vifa XT25/HDS).
I think to order the module from PE and case from ghentaudio.
It is my first amp build so something not expensive with good reviews like the ICEPower should be good start point.
Any other recommendations? place to buy case from?

Thanks,

Itamar.
Old 21st March 2019, 10:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I found on eBay the 125asx2 model..
Bang & Olufsen ICEpower 125ASX2 2x125W Class D Amplifier Board card | eBay
Bang & Olufsen ICEpower 125ASX2 2x125W Class D Amplifier Board | eBay
Someone purchased and can tell if its original?
Thanks!

Are there better alternative in the 200$ range including case?
Old 21st March 2019, 11:05 AM   #3
chebum is offline chebum  Poland
diyAudio Member

ICEPower 50asx2 kit
Profusion and Parts Express sell IcePower modules:
Icepower audio components at Profusion
ICEpower Product Line at Parts Express

125asx2 has lowish and non-stable input imedance (8KOhm, falling towards high frequencies). You need a DAC or pre-amp with low output impedance to drive them properly.

If your DAC has balanced outputs, ICEmatch series may be a better choise. ICEmatch's input impedance is 47KOhm which means they will accept almost every source. miniDSP offers pre-built 16 channel ICEmatch-based amp for $1000.

modushop and ghentaudio make cases.

For slightly more than $200 I'd buy a factory-made amp. For example Monacor STA-400D with Hypex UCD

Last edited by chebum; 21st March 2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 21st March 2019, 11:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have PS Audio Nuwave DSD DAC in the living room with the Elipson Studio Pro and soon with Jeff Bagby Adelphos.
In the office I have only the KEF Q150 and crappy receiver for now. I thought to purchase used preamp/dac, something like Marantz HD-DAC1 / Pro-Ject S2D / (I can purchase used now) or maybe miniDSP, to combine with 125asx2/50asx2..(Do I need preamp for minidsp+power?)
All fresh thoughts...

The Monacor looks like great amp, I can use it in the future for the living room (NUWAVE + ADELPHOS).
Are there more hypex ready amps in good price like the Monacor?

Thanks!

Last edited by Ita0101; 21st March 2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 21st March 2019, 04:53 PM   #5
gsrchrisu is offline gsrchrisu  Canada
diyAudio Member

I bought 2 125asx2 modules from the first ebay link. They are the real deal. Installed in Ghentaudio cases with rtx modules, probably a bit overkill for a desk top system. In my opinion 125asx2 is a much better value than the 50asx2 at the moment. I tried a topping d50 and a Sabaj Da3 dac which worked fine without balanced inputs straight into the ice module.
Old 21st March 2019, 06:51 PM   #6
cube75 is offline cube75  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

@gsrchrisu, I saw the Ebay offering from the first link as well, but hesitated...
Profusion asks 220 Euro.
You say they are the real deal, genuine Icepower product, does it come with original packaging?
Old 21st March 2019, 07:21 PM   #7
gsrchrisu is offline gsrchrisu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Its not original packaging. I highly doubt these come in original factory packaging from anyone. Icepower will not sell to people like you and me, only wholesale to manufactures. 125 usd is what maybe 110 euros(approx) and then not sure what happens on your end with taxes and Vat. In Canada I paid no taxes or custom fees. So you are right, I may potentially have problems if I need warranty repair but in my mind at these prices its like a "final sale transaction" anyways. I wont lie, it is DIY. If your not comfortable with that def buy a ready made package with warranty and product support.

If I lived in Europe I would be looking at the hypex modules, but really I dont know enough about them. For North America I dont really see much better value than Icemodules off Ebay. You get so much more value for your dollar buying from Chinese Vendors and hopefully Ebay will protect(false sense) my purchases.
Old 21st March 2019, 07:38 PM   #8
cube75 is offline cube75  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Valid points.

But you won't get a complete Hypex amplifier for the price of the Ebay offerings, and with a bit of luck it slips through customs so no import taxes etc.
Ironically, Hypex Netherlands is situated about 20 miles from where i live..

Well, I'll sleep on it.
Old 22nd March 2019, 10:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for comments guys.
I contacted the first seller, and asked him if he can declare on 65$~ for customs fee - he agreed, just ask to remind him at purchase.
Since the ICEPower are x2 and way cheaper than the hypex atm, I think to try the 125asx2. It is overkill for KEF Q150 but not for my Elipson which move someday to desktop. If the ICEPower will be so good I will use in the living room with Adelphos speakers in the future.

gsrchrisu - RTX module means it makes the 125asx2 with fully balanced XLR instead of RCA?
In my DAC my best output supposed to be the XLR.

Last edited by Ita0101; 22nd March 2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 23rd March 2019, 02:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

So, I'm about to pull the trigger on the 125asx2 from eBay and case from ghentaudio.
Looks like the step up from this is hypex UCD 180 which costs more than double.
Any other option to consider in the 200$ range?
Thanks!

ICEPower 50asx2 kitHide this!Advertise here!