ICEPower 50asx2 kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought 2 125asx2 modules from the first ebay link. They are the real deal. Installed in Ghentaudio cases with rtx modules, probably a bit overkill for a desk top system. In my opinion 125asx2 is a much better value than the 50asx2 at the moment. I tried a topping d50 and a Sabaj Da3 dac which worked fine without balanced inputs straight into the ice module.

What do you think of the sound quality of the 125asx.
I am thinking of going for the 250 for a little more power.

Okay, thanks. It's unusual because the power stated is usually peak.

Found this on ebay 173018437885 Contacted the seller who states it is original authentic. Do you think this could be true, the B&O and non-B&O icepower all look exactly the same.
Also, What is the build quality / reliability on your 125asx like, have you had any problems.
And the power supply is built onto the amp board. I always thought that was a bad thing, the amp and power supply should be on seperate boards to minimize rf and emi interference. Have you ever thought of removing the power supply and moving it away, or perhaps replacing with a " high quality " psu

Power supply being on the board -- you'd be amazed if you connected an ICEpower amp to a speaker and stuck your ear right up to it. Even with a horn tweeter. Dead quiet. I personally think having the supply be on the same board is the ideal situation, minimum impedance between power supply and where the power needs to go. RF interference from long supply leads would be more likely to be a problem.

But then I also think that that "high quality psu" means a switching supply (as compared to the usual unregulated bridge rectifier and capacitor bank "60Hz switching supply" type), so make of this what you will.

Found this on ebay 173018437885 Contacted the seller who states it is original authentic. Do you think this could be true, the B&O and non-B&O icepower all look exactly the same.
I don’t know where this is coming from but I’ve personally never seen these “fake” ASX modules anywhere. I’ve seen quite a few people here who refuse to believe that anything bought from China can be “genuine” but that’s very much a different matter... :rolleyes:

Is the psu not a switcher? It looks like a switcher.

I usually find that a good psu can make up half the cost of an amplifier, this is one area maufacturers skimp on to stay within a pre-determined budget.
I'm wondering how this amp may sound with a bigger psu with lower esr caps.

I got another message back from ebay:

Thank you for your message,my friend.
and welcome to my store.
it made by a different manufacturer.

Any question, Please feel free to contact us.

Some of the 125ASX2 boards are labelled as B&O, some are not, but they all look indentical. I asked the seller if his board is made by B&O or a different manufacturer.

Still doesn't prove any kind of "fakery" :)

ICEpower was a B&O subsidiary until a couple of years ago when the company was bought out by the management team and some investors. At some point the board silk screens will very likely have been changed so they no longer say "Bang & Olufsen ICEpower A/S" but just "ICEpower A/S" - but the product will of course be the same.

Also, even under B&O ownership the ASX-modules were never manufactured in-house but always using a manufacturing service (EMS). Originally this was in Malaysia, but around 10 or so years ago moved (to Jabil Circuit in China - which they as far as I know still use). So technically, even a module source from an authorised distributor is probably "made in China".

If you have a very old ASP-module (app. 15 years) it would have been made at the B&O factory in Denmark (which was technically owned by Flextronics), but then it moved to the "default" EMS in Malaysia - and noone seems to have noticed that from a quality POV :cool:

Is the psu not a switcher? It looks like a switcher.

I usually find that a good psu can make up half the cost of an amplifier, this is one area maufacturers skimp on to stay within a pre-determined budget.
I'm wondering how this amp may sound with a bigger psu with lower esr caps.

It is a switcher. But then, so is ANY power supply except a battery, the difference is that a so-called "linear supply" switches at 50 or 60Hz (or at 100 or 120Hz), positioned spectrally where it can cause about the worst possible audible noise. While a high frequency switching supply switches at a much higher rate where it and its harmonics won't be heard and the control mechanism provides very good DC voltage regulation for very low supply output impedances to much lower frequencies than any practical cap banks can do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.