2019 - Where is the value

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone

Just discovered Class D and Diyaudio. Been using SVS products with Class D amps for a couple of years now. Always thought class D was only good for subwoofers and car audio, but was I wrong when I powered up a icepower 125asx2 module to power my main speakers - how does that sound come out of such a small package. Meets or beats my super old Conrad Johnson MF2200(costs 1800 cdn in 1995)

Ebay is flooded with Icepower modules, well mostly the 125 and 50 series. All from China, which is no problem, so far no duty and no tax when importing to Canada.

So basically I can build an Icepower 450 watt monoblock for 350 Cdn(170 for 125asx2, 130 for case and wiring harness, and 50 for rtx module(100kohms)

I know the Hypex ncore 400 is in a different league, being compared to 5k class a/b amplifiers, but even at the reduced 575 sterling pound list price, that is still close to 2k cdn landed for two mono blocks.

Just wanted to open a discussion on value of Class D amplifiers given our access through Ebay.

On the sound quality, class D compared to class AB I will call undecided. Many skilled people have opinions that go to each side.

The advantages I see with class D amplifiers:
Less power loss though not fully as advantageous as often claimed. It is mainly at high power levels class D has an advantage but how often is high power levels used? Nevertheless, the heatsinks are smaller and lighter.
Can better take advantage of less well adapted supply voltages because the class D amplifier essentially is a Buck voltage converter.
Stability in the sense that the stability of a class AB amplifier varies with the output which can cause instability while the class D amplifier is more linear.
It is quite easy to design for high power levels.
Class D can better match an SMPS because the signal treatment inside a class D amplifier is already binary and it relies on the output filter to remove all kind of high frequency "noise".
The class D chips are often equipped with MUTE facilities.

The class AB amplifier still has important advantages:
EMI due to no higher carrier frequency.
Can operate without load (without risk of damage). This makes use of traditional protection relays possible.
Less complex design though integration of parts of the class D circuit compensates to a large extend.
More suited for DIY adaptation as a class D chip leaves little possibility to deviate importantly from the datasheet recommendations.
Higher bandwidth which is very useful for composite amplifier configurations.
Possible to implements as DIY on Veroboards while class D with its high carrier frequency is more dependent on the PCB layout.
For DIY it is still possible to find "through hole" implementations while most class D designs are SMD implementations.

Last edited:
I last week acquired a boxed ICEpower125 from Taobao for CNY850. It offers excellent bang-for-the-buck and sounds very similar to my optimized 15W TDA8932 amp but plays louder. I do use input transformers as it only has SE inputs and in my experience CM noise (emanating from switching supplies) is a potential degrader of SQ if unmitigated.

On the sound quality, class D compared to class AB I will call undecided. Many skilled people have opinions that go to each side.

Really? Class D simply sounds poor.. although some are markedly better than others.
Most fanboys of Class D either have just bought one OR are Selling something.
The type has been around long enough for it to have totally displaced all previous Amplification types..
IF it was audibly equal let alone superior..
Yet it hasn't. Far from it actually.
Time to file this with MQA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.