Amplifier chip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
UDP320:

The UDP320 has an upgraded output stage compared to the previous version. It now use the same output stage as the T4 amplifier.
T4:
This amp is similar to T1, but uses the high power sta516 output stage chip to generate 2 x 180W @ 8 ohm. The T4 has two channels and is suitable for 8 ohm loads. It can drive 4 ohm, but with around 90W power output.
Answer:
STA516B - 65-volt, 7.5-amp, quad power half bridge - STMicroelectronics

But its FFX, not DDX.

My present class-D amp is one from Breeze Audio, using a TPA3116 chip.

Contrary to what I had imagined, it sounds very good, and I am used to listening to high quality amplifiers. My speakers are top grade, so the amp just needs to provide a noiseless and dynamic amplification, which the TPA3116 seems to fulfill.

The supply is a 19v/3A switching type, which was also a surprise.

Can these STA chips improve on these TPAs in audio quality? I know they can provide more power, but that doesn't mean equal or better audio quality.

What chips do you consider an improvement over the TPA3116 and its siblings?

My present class-D amp is one from Breeze Audio, using a TPA3116 chip.

Contrary to what I had imagined, it sounds very good, and I am used to listening to high quality amplifiers. My speakers are top grade, so the amp just needs to provide a noiseless and dynamic amplification, which the TPA3116 seems to fulfill.

The supply is a 19v/3A switching type, which was also a surprise.

Can these STA chips improve on these TPAs in audio quality? I know they can provide more power, but that doesn't mean equal or better audio quality.

What chips do you consider an improvement over the TPA3116 and its siblings?

The STA516 is often using the TC2000/2001 driver from late Tripath. For some, nothing else sounds as good as Tripath class-T. Generally, the TPA325X series from TI is considered in the top for monolithic class D chips. Perhaps on top of that is IcePower and derivatives but those are at a different price level.

You have really good gear and experience with such. I cannot tell you what you will consider significantly better than your TPA3116, it is so subjective.

TPA3116 is a classD amp with analog in, i.e. it needs a DAC. With a good DAC the TPA3116 has a chance to compete with an STA, with an average DAC the STA wins. To go one better you need a good DAC along with a modded TPA3251 or TPA3220.

I've tried the STA516 together with the Tripath driver, didn't rate that highly at all.

Two things about that group buy:

1) Apparently is closed already

2) They only shipped by DHL which I do not use. If you ship by courier to Brazil, you will certainly pay import taxes. If you ship by air-mail. packages to be taxed are sampled, so I rarely pay.

Any other place to buy from 3e-audio? Their board looks better than those on eBay. Price is higher than those on eBay too.

My present DAC is a Topping D50.

I am assembling an audio network, to be able to play DSD files through the D50.

I think you’ll find the topping D50 and TPA3xxx combo superior to the hifime udp320.
I’ve been using the udp320 on and off since june and have been underwelmed by it. I breifly tried it with a Sonore microRendu and then it came alive and sounded fine but not better then my TPA amp mated with a lesser dac then your Topping d50.

I suspect the udp320 is rubbish at handling jitter. Wish there was a way to make the udp320 suck less at handling jitter. Just feels plain wrong to mate sucha badly engeenered product with a fine streamer like the microRendu.

I couldn't find any ready made amps using the TPA3251.

There's one using the TPA3255:

TPA3255 Digital Amplifier Board Power Class D Audio Amp Assembled 300W+300W HiFi 6247818316464 | eBay

FYI, some of the finished TPA3255 amps on ebay use photos of a different product.
None of the compact boxes have integrated PSU, and some of them also list the wrong type of DC connector.
Other than that, sound is quite good and works just fine, much better than any TPA3116 on ebay.

Edit:
Here's one with balanced inputs and integrated PSU.
Balanced version TPA3255 Class D Power amp BTL High power 150W +150W L23-6 | eBay
But at that price level there are PA amps available that are about equal in sound quality.

Last edited:
For half the price you get a Behringer KM750, with all legal taxes, P&P paid.
3 years warranty. Only need to throttle the fan a little.

Want Class-D? No fan?
Behringer A800 for 170 Euro, same conditions.

Compare that to your Chinese US$300 amp (no tax included!) and you will not even think of it any more...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.