Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Amplifier chip
Amplifier chip
Amplifier chip Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2019, 11:30 AM   #21
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Amplifier chip
I completely agree.
But for 3-400 euro you can get some nice 110db thd+n pa amps with hypex modules.
I'd rather have that than the noisy Behringer that requires some modification, seems to be a trend from that brand.
Old 7th November 2019, 12:19 PM   #22
Turbowatch2 is offline Turbowatch2  Germany
diyAudio Member

Behringer is a PA brand. If you are on stage or a rave no one cares about loud fanīs as long as the amps do not over heat.
If you silence the fan in some way and correctly feed an audio source, Behringer amps are dead silent. No hum, no hiss no dizzle.
The second amp I mentioned, is a "Studio Amp" and has no fan and no noise at all.

If you do not respect grounding issues and ignore level matching, any PA or what ever amp will have all kindīs of noise problems. Hiss is usually induced from HIFI sources that do not have enough output voltage and are over driven, like sub outīs from AVRīs.

This is no problem of a single brand like Behringer. I still have 2 of their amps, a KM750 and a iNuke 3000DSP. The iNuke3000 has a DSP which can add a lot of noise if used in the wrong way. Just increase the wrong level in some filter and the noise ist there, use it right and you will not hear anything from the 105dB compression driver, even 50cm away. Take into account this is a 2x1000 Watt amp...
Old 15th November 2019, 10:36 AM   #23
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Amplifier chip
I use PA amps myself, but there are significant differences between low noise (better than 110db thd+n), and more "regular" (ca 100db thd+n) equipment. Does not matter which brand or where it is in the signal chain, definitely audible.
And I prefer amps with proper temperature controlled fans, if you just use a few watts of power, why should the fans be spinning?
My amps are silent even when pushed fairly hard, and when the fams start spinning the music is too loud to hear them.

Just saying that Behringer seem to focus slightly more on price than quality, not saying it's bad, and certainly they have good stuff too.

Amplifier chipHide this!Advertise here!