Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

custom Class D for subwoofer
custom Class D for subwoofer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2019, 04:12 PM   #1
mga2009 is offline mga2009
diyAudio Member

Default custom Class D for subwoofer

Hi,

Right now I am using my Behringer Nu3000DSP to power my dual sealed Dayton Ultimax 15". As I am aiming on a near silent setup, I replaced the fan with a Noctua, for a more silent work. In the near future I would like to upgrade it. I might have the chance to upgrade it to a NX6000DSP and then replace both fans with Noctuas.

Other alternative would be to build a "custom" amplifier with ICEpower modules from PE, which I think might offer a much better SQ. I'm thinking on these 2x1000W class D amps:

-. 1000W amp + PS:
ICEpower 1000ASP Class D Audio Amplifier with Power Supply Module 1 x 1000W

-. 1000W module:
ICEpower 1000A Class D Audio Amplifier Module 1 x 1000W

I think I also need:

-. wiring harness kit
-. aluminium chassis
-. bigger noctua fans (140mm or 120mm)
-. binding posts
-. power button and IEC connector (I've red these need to be of high quality)

Price for everything would be around USD$800 or so...

What do you think? Is it worth it? Or should I stay with Behringer or any other "good" PA amplifier? I am aiming for a silent setup, and hopefully an amplifier that can run unbalanced input.

Also, I know that with the ICE Power modules i lost DSP features, but I probably also get a MiniDSP NanoAVR-HDA or even use my PC as only source and DSP.

Thanks in advance!
Old 18th February 2019, 06:18 PM   #2
Khron is offline Khron  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Out of sheer curiosity, i don't suppose you've, say, simulated those woofers in the enclosures you have, to see how much power you need to reach their xmax, have you?

And on an unrelated note, i'm not all that sure one could be talking about "sound quality" (as such) when it comes strictly to subwoofers, but i may well be wrong on that one. One might argue the placement of the subs, as well as the listening position and the room itself will influence things infinitely more than amplifier choice.
Old 18th February 2019, 06:28 PM   #3
stocktrader200 is offline stocktrader200  Canada
diyAudio Member

hypex class d 400w

Last edited by stocktrader200; 18th February 2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 18th February 2019, 06:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khron View Post
Out of sheer curiosity, i don't suppose you've, say, simulated those woofers in the enclosures you have, to see how much power you need to reach their xmax, have you?

And on an unrelated note, i'm not all that sure one could be talking about "sound quality" (as such) when it comes strictly to subwoofers, but i may well be wrong on that one. One might argue the placement of the subs, as well as the listening position and the room itself will influence things infinitely more than amplifier choice.
Yes, I modeled my subwoofers on WinISD. They are 3.5cu. ft. (net volume). According to simulations xmax is reached at 500W, but people always say it's better to have some "room", more so if you plan to use Linkswitz-Transform to get better response below 25hz.

Also... the difference in $$$ between ICEpower 500W and ICEpower 1000W is minimal.

I agree with you, placement and probably sound treatment are very important, but I am really "hand cuffed" there... the subs are in a room that has limited location and almost no treatment available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktrader200 View Post
hypex class d
I am a completely noob regarding custom power amplifiers, I only checked ICEpower and Sure Electronics modules, because they seem the more straight up and easy to connect.

I don't know which power supply is good/enough for the Hypex modules I can get from: DIYclassd.com

You would recommend Hypex over ICEpower?

Last edited by mga2009; 18th February 2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 18th February 2019, 06:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Using a Linkwitz Transform will eat up the available xmax that much quicker, especially down low. You can easily add that in WinISD as well, and see the results. Both that, and whatever low-pass filtering you'll be using.

And then comes the question, whether you actually really NEED the max SPL those monsters are capable of...
Old 18th February 2019, 06:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Using a Linkwitz Transform will eat up the available xmax that much quicker, especially down low. You can easily add that in WinISD as well, and see the results. Both that, and whatever low-pass filtering you'll be using.

And then comes the question, whether you actually really NEED the max SPL those monsters are capable of...
To your question... no, not really.

You would suggest aiming for lower wattage?
Old 18th February 2019, 06:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well, it would certainly open up your options a fair bit (not to mention, fit into a lower budget, to boot).

If you've got a minute, go ahead and add a Linkwitz Transform in the WinISD sim for one of those woofer boxes, and see where / when you reach xmax. And then check the SPL graph, to see how loud they'll be at that point
Old 18th February 2019, 07:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well, it would certainly open up your options a fair bit (not to mention, fit into a lower budget, to boot).

If you've got a minute, go ahead and add a Linkwitz Transform in the WinISD sim for one of those woofer boxes, and see where / when you reach xmax. And then check the SPL graph, to see how loud they'll be at that point
Well It certainly @ 500W with LT I hit xmax very soon.
Old 18th February 2019, 07:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

... And the resulting SPL at that point is...?

Of course, it'd be that much more interesting to (be able to) measure the frequency response at your usual listening position, in that room.

One can only wonder what manner of peaks and troughs / dips would be revealed, that may very well render a "flat" response of the subs themselves, pretty much moot...
Old 18th February 2019, 07:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
... And the resulting SPL at that point is...?

Of course, it'd be that much more interesting to (be able to) measure the frequency response at your usual listening position, in that room.

One can only wonder what manner of peaks and troughs / dips would be revealed, that may very well render a "flat" response of the subs themselves, pretty much moot...
Well, I get your point... I don't need 1000W per channel to drive these subwoofers...

You would suggest dual 500W? less? The target it's get s "silent" amp for the subwoofers.

custom Class D for subwooferHide this!Advertise here!