Connex Cxd400 driver stage supplying

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, I'm writing you cause I have one doubt about the driver stage supplying of this Cxd400 module. On Connex website I found:
"For increased efficiency the driver stage can be supplied separately with an regulated or unregulated voltage in range of 15-25V DC at 60mA max. An isolalted supply voltage is required because the – is connected on board to -Vcc."
Ok. Then I look at the amp board and I find a 2 pins connector, one marked " Vd", the other marked "-Vcc". Does it need a dual DC power supply? How can I realize such a PS? Starting from an AC - 0 - AC transformer followed by a double rectifier stage? And if yes, and therefore the output of this supply will be like V+ GND V-, what how should I manage the GND? I hope I'm explining well enough and I'm sorry if questions may seem stupid, but I'm trying to learn.
Thanks in advance,
Gaetano

Yes, it needs a "dual DC" power supply, ie. a +/- [a few tens] V DC. That can be achieved with a center-tapped secondary on a transformer, indeed, but one bridge rectifier is enough.

Additionally though, it will also require a third voltage, that "anything between 15 and 25V DC", which is (and here's the key part) referenced to the -VCC rail.

One of the simplest(?) ways to achieve that is by using a second, much smaller transformer, with a single secondary winding. Something like a 12V AC, and a 2-3VA rating should be ample. See Figure 1 on this page:

Linear Power Supply Design

The "ground" of that small power supply gets connected to the "-Vcc" pin on that extra connector, and the "positive" of that goes to the "Vd" pin.

One other way to obtain that voltage is with a discrete regulator (like many / most of the IRAUD reference design boards), but that'll need some extra heatsinking.

Fig.33 on page 30 (Q105, Z102, CP101, R114 and R115) over here:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/iraudamp7s.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a40153569addc92bfb

Last edited:
Additionally though, it will also require a third voltage, that "anything between 15 and 25V DC", which is (and here's the key part) referenced to the -VCC rail.

So, if I understood well, the driver stage doesn't need a symmetric DC. I'm buying a transformer with two secondaries: one double at 45-0-45V and another single at 15V. Is it suitable for my purposes? For the double secondary I think I will use the V3 universal power supply circuit board. For the single one I can use the rectifier you showed me. So by that output DC I can feed the driver stage. Am I thinking well?
Thanks,
Gaetano.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.