Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

chinese ebay amp test - finally
chinese ebay amp test - finally
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2019, 04:11 AM   #1
3rutu5 is offline 3rutu5  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default chinese ebay amp test - finally

guys,
thought i would share my experience with the TDA3116 2.1 ch amp board i purchased a month ago.

Cheap eBay TPA3116 amp

finally decided to hook it up and give it a test. I had a piece of scrap 30mm ply and decided to see if i could make a matching pc case from my recent speaker build only to rush into it and not think about the measurements. needless to say it was too small for a pc but could work with a logitech sub i repurposed from a old THX setup i had. tried two sets of speakers as well (which one was my latest build) and to be brutally honest what came out really stank. the Magnat satellites i had gave out a mechanical noise/distortion and struggled. The same issue was heard with the studio speakers as well, which i know now isnt the driver but the board itself. The bass from the sub was a bit average and i think less than the 3.5 inch tectonics i have.

If i was to compare it against the DTA-2 amp which generally power the studio monitors, i would have been confused that the 10w @ 8ohm per channel was a mistype.

both boards cost about the same, but i was expecting something equal to or better than the DTA's. tweaking the dials did nothing really either as the weird mechanical sound still floated around.

guess 25 AUD is still cheap enough to be a test, but not sure if that is to be expected from the ebay chinese boards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190217_145551.jpg (819.2 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190217_145555.jpg (700.5 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190217_145602.jpg (668.0 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190217_145605.jpg (750.3 KB, 194 views)
Old 17th February 2019, 04:38 AM   #2
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Mechanical noises and distortion could be the chip resetting and restarting maybe? Check the caps and through hole soldering. Try another PSU. Looks like Bluetooth only input. Try moving that big choke on the PSU lead away from the Bluetooth aerial.

Some of this stuff does turn up broken. I may have been lucky so far. I have 11 boards in total.

J.

chinese ebay amp test - finallyHide this!Advertise here!