Breeze Audio 3116D2 and speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Still learning here, I hope.

Putting together a system for my workshop, will be getting FLAC and MP3 from PC via entry level ( remote) DAC, into FX audio Tube-01 buffer, then a Breeze Audio TPA 3116D2 ( single chip type) I have done the Gain mod on this.
The speakers I would like to use, because I already have them, are KEF Cresta 2 which are 90dB sensitivity, 8 OHM and rated 10-100 watt.
I realise I will have sacrificed some raw output with the gain mod, but before I go any further ( building a rack and interconnects at the moment) I would appreciate any comment or thoughts on the compatibility of the KEFs versus the components. And the likely output in terms of output-volume, nothing too loud wanted just something a bit "immersive" Very subjective I know....Mostly Folk/folk rock stuff.

PS I would sooner get another similar but more suitable amp rather than change the speakers if it came to it.

Hi stree

the speakers a fine and are bookshelf speakers. this kind of speakers "live" to get better volume as they stand in the bookshelf. ....try to put it out and let tey stand free.
amp:
did you read some mod page here? have you done all mods? pick up some changes of some pages about SQ not power mods in teh first step.
preamp?
dou you really need a preamp? where you are playing your files? try to get as short as possilbe..DAC-3116

chris

Yes, I amd happy with the speakers, I have used them with vintage Toshiba and Sony Amps and know what to expect from the Kefs.

The mod done to the amp is to reduce the gain and it seems this mod is quite common, it does however mean sacrificing some volume, but the sound quality is improved. I assume the SQ you mention stands for sound quality?
Pre-amp? what pre-amp? I mentioned a tube buffer and I realise sometimes it is described as a pre-amp but that is not its use here. Once again it is used in an attempt to try for the best "SQ" possible on a tiny budget.
The files are on HDD or SSD . I have an ITX PC sat right next to the amp etc, furthest distance between the DAC and the 3116 will be determined by the length I make the interconnects, probably 250mm (10") I am aiming for all interconnects to be 250mm or less.

Hi, I have KEF Cresta speakers looking very much like the "2". My bass/mid-range driver should be 6.5 Inch. If it is then a "2" I do not know. At the rear I only find the British flag which is the most important evidently.
My Cresta "X" sound just great . Chris is far more experienced than I in speaker location so do as I and listen to his advice.
You do not "sacrifice" volume by reducing the TPA3116 gain, you just compensate with the gain in the pre-amp or buffer and you are back to normal.
I do not have the Breeze Audio TPA3116 but I found an instructive video on YT: YouTube
The temperature of the heatsink with heavy use is one of very few issues. If you are skilled with metal work, you may manage to replace the heatsink with a cooling bridge to the chassis wall. Though TPA3116 is very modest with heating, it is always delicate with an isolated heatsink inside a compact closed chassis. The temperature builds up slowly.

Last edited:
Hi stree

sorry...but i formulated not clear....where is the DAC conversion done? in the pc...ITX PC sat- soundcard? this is the way to improve.
the length of the interconnection cables is not as bad if its not 3m;)

do you try to go directly without tube buffer into the 3116 amp?

chris

First I will answer chermann:
It is a standalone DAC which connects to PC motherboard port ( no soundcard) with optical cable and has 2 x RCA out plus volume pot (more gain?) Cables from this DAC to tube buffer about 250mm long. Then from tube buffer to amp with 250mm cable again.

FauxFrench
Thanks for explaining about the gain and volume...........
I have gain pots in DAC and buffer so this could be useful.
I have watched that youtube vid many times and also his others, I followed his advice for the Gain mod. I know he also did the heatsink cooling bridge but I thought that was ugly!
I bought some heatsink section, and cut to slightly larger base area, the base is thicker and the fins are thicker, just have to drill and tap the holes for it now.
I also make sure to clean up the chip and h-sink base and apply thermal compound before fitting.

Intended PSU is a laptop brick, 19v and 7 amp
Not using amp with 4Ohm speakers ( worst for heat! ) just 8 Ohm, plus custom heavier heatsink and Arctic thermal paste, so will also do a trial with a Meanwell 24 v 8 amp supply.

I dont need to fill the workshop with sound, just around the bench I will be working on, the whole workshop is 7M x 5M X 3.3M high..

My concern ( as I said) is that I may have muted the volume potential with the gain mod, which I believe drops it from 32W to 20W.......But only way to know is to build it up and test, which might take a while.
Also, just bought another DAC ( instead of the ultra cheap one I got), still a cheapish one but with good reports, SMSL SD793-II, so maybe make some gain up there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.