Quantifying class A quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perhaps within some pc green lobby, certainly not among audiophiles. SMPS anywhere in the listening room continues being a bad omen for sound.

Not to mention that smps will have a real tough time replacing iron in signal transformers :)
I have to protest. Not all but most class D have a SMPS unit. There are some that pair the class D with a linear supply. But the protest is not about which one, its about the fact that audiophiles come from a world where the music travel down the loudspeaker cable .... If the power supply has a steady signal, low ripple and is capable of supplying anything the transistor demand with no delay or shortage, the audio signal will look exactly the same no matter if it comes from a linear or switch-mode power supply.

Music only exist in the mind, everything els is electrical signals and air motion in the form of a compressed and rarefied waves.

That was just a reference to a superior SMPS unit with film caps only. Liquid electrolytic caps is a necessary evil. Why film caps ? longevity, stability etc.

Having lost all of my money and job my E-meter is no longer supported. Since you know about such stuff perhaps you can suggest appropriate component replacements.

Looking forward to getting rid of my Engrams.

"You know what you know until you know something els" - I am no expert and know less than I want to know, but that does not stop me from at least trying to advance in the know how of electronics. And in the end, I don't think I want to become an expert. They seem reach a point and no longer need to learn new things, I don't want to be that guy :)

The point of mentioning film caps or solid electrolyte types was purely for fun of the debate. But in all seriousness, when it comes to quality - aka the purpose of this thread - everything matters. Circuit layout, component quality, component layout on the PCB, the PCB itself etc ... Does who are content with average or mediocre type of components and are more focused on keeping the cost low can do so, I am not judging anyone in that regards. Its up to anyone to make such decisions, really.

When it comes to capacitors, there is plenty of material and articles available on the net. Half the fun is actually discovering things on your own. And there is always the paralleling several small values to reach the desired value.

So... basically you are saying you do not have a clue as to how to improve my E-meter and I should hope that as a result of your posts someone else will tell me how to improve my E-meter but then you will ask whether or not black sleeved capacitors are better than blue sleeved ones in respect of Engram reduction.

Damned it, you made me google E-meter, that's 30 sec I will never get back. Regarding the color of the sleeve, I'd say it depend on ones mood or how temperamental one want the system to be. I have not spent any time reading up on sound- and color theory, maybe because the color of the sleeve never occurred as being of a meaningful value, but maybe I should actually invest some time. I have also noticed there are people who place rocks and stones on their equipment and they express a much better tonality and rendition of the music played ... I am missing out on so many things.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
"

The point of mentioning film caps or solid electrolyte types was purely for fun of the debate.

So can you backup a smps w/o electrolytics or did you mention this just for fun? If so, you risk not to be taken seriously by other members here.

And addressing experts. Yes, I am one of these experts. Your bias against experts is kind of insulting - or arrogant at least.

1. No I cannot point you towards a specific model. Until I see one or are informed of one, it exist purely in my mind and there I am free to explore lots of things. I did not use the word fun as in goofing around, more as amusement for exploring possibility's for consideration. "How to improve" sort of thing, and possibly open up an interesting debate on SMPS - after all, quantifying class A quality has an endless possibility of interpretations.

2. My intention was and is not to insult, I only express my opinion and as usual, that leave room for interpretation. My option which is neither a law or an absolute can only offend if anyone find their own definition or position threatened by others. There are experts and experts - to clarify. One will posses a large portion of knowledge in one or multiple sciences but know there is more to learn and the possibility of not knowing something is always present. Then there is the expert that moves through life in a dogmatic fashion, solid as a rock and need no one to upset the status quo.

Lets say that I choose a path of using solid electrolyte aka film capacitors in a product and some argue that I am wasting money as the benefits will only exist in the future and after the products "best before date" has expired even if the unit is fully functional, the argument against my choice is solely based upon the idea that no one will keep using it after a decade or two and that the std electrolytic capacitor will last the duration of this time frame. That would not upset me at all for I know the reasons for my choice and if possible can prove that performance is increased due to said choices and that longevity is only a portion of the reasons why. Neither do I support the modern "use and throwaway" consumerism that so many support without one single thought about consequences regarding finite materials nor how all of the spent but still functional equipment is piling up on a landfill somewhere ...

Okay okay, enough rant for one day :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.