Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Quantifying class A quality.
Quantifying class A quality.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2019, 07:40 PM   #51
Oneminde is offline Oneminde
diyAudio Member

Damned it, you made me google E-meter, that's 30 sec I will never get back. Regarding the color of the sleeve, I'd say it depend on ones mood or how temperamental one want the system to be. I have not spent any time reading up on sound- and color theory, maybe because the color of the sleeve never occurred as being of a meaningful value, but maybe I should actually invest some time. I have also noticed there are people who place rocks and stones on their equipment and they express a much better tonality and rendition of the music played ... I am missing out on so many things.
Old 13th February 2019, 08:09 PM   #52
MorbidFractal is offline MorbidFractal
diyAudio Member

The rocks and stones are part of the proof of Feng Shui. Now you know perhaps you can go and write a Best Seller..
Old 13th February 2019, 08:13 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Old 13th February 2019, 08:31 PM   #54
voltwide is offline voltwide  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneminde View Post
"

The point of mentioning film caps or solid electrolyte types was purely for fun of the debate.

So can you backup a smps w/o electrolytics or did you mention this just for fun? If so, you risk not to be taken seriously by other members here.

And addressing experts. Yes, I am one of these experts. Your bias against experts is kind of insulting - or arrogant at least.
Old 13th February 2019, 09:24 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

1. No I cannot point you towards a specific model. Until I see one or are informed of one, it exist purely in my mind and there I am free to explore lots of things. I did not use the word fun as in goofing around, more as amusement for exploring possibility's for consideration. "How to improve" sort of thing, and possibly open up an interesting debate on SMPS - after all, quantifying class A quality has an endless possibility of interpretations.

2. My intention was and is not to insult, I only express my opinion and as usual, that leave room for interpretation. My option which is neither a law or an absolute can only offend if anyone find their own definition or position threatened by others. There are experts and experts - to clarify. One will posses a large portion of knowledge in one or multiple sciences but know there is more to learn and the possibility of not knowing something is always present. Then there is the expert that moves through life in a dogmatic fashion, solid as a rock and need no one to upset the status quo.

Lets say that I choose a path of using solid electrolyte aka film capacitors in a product and some argue that I am wasting money as the benefits will only exist in the future and after the products "best before date" has expired even if the unit is fully functional, the argument against my choice is solely based upon the idea that no one will keep using it after a decade or two and that the std electrolytic capacitor will last the duration of this time frame. That would not upset me at all for I know the reasons for my choice and if possible can prove that performance is increased due to said choices and that longevity is only a portion of the reasons why. Neither do I support the modern "use and throwaway" consumerism that so many support without one single thought about consequences regarding finite materials nor how all of the spent but still functional equipment is piling up on a landfill somewhere ...

Okay okay, enough rant for one day
Old 13th February 2019, 09:42 PM   #56
Khron is offline Khron  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Slight correction there - "solid electrolyte" doesn't necessarily mean "film cap".

Polymer capacitor - Wikipedia
Old 13th February 2019, 09:54 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

True, there are semi-solid gel type of electrolytes with low viscosity as an example which exist in a gray zone and then there is film cap.

Quantifying class A quality.Hide this!Advertise here!