Setting up a Fusion Amp 3-way Step-by-Step

Preparing to configure a pair of Fusion FA123s, I've gone through this thread several times.

I need to assemble some tools and components.

While one can find recommendations for almost everything needed across the thread, it would certainly help me (and maybe others) to have specific recommendations in a single place.

It looks like I need:

Laptop w/Windows 10
UMC22
Microphone (not certain which one?)
REW software
2 USB cables (Fusion - usb - laptop & UMC22 - usb - laptop)
1 Analog cable (UMC22 - analog to fusion)​

Discussion/questions follow...

Laptop w/Windows 10
Will a basic Windows 10 laptop do?
Do I need any non-common specific inputs/outputs?
I have a macPro desktop too far from my listening area, so running Parallels won't work for me.
Also, I can get a basic Windows 10 laptop for about what I'd pay for Parallels + Windows 10.

UMC22 -- This seems like the one

Microphone

I haven't yet found a specific recommendation in the thread.
The miniDSP UMIK-1 seems to be avoided.
One post mentioned the Behringer ECM8000 Measurement Condenser Microphone, but I didn't come across a statement that it would actually work.
Recommendation appreciated.​

REW software

While I think one post mentions Dirac, it seems like the miniDSP REW software gets a consensus recommendation.
Confirmation appreciated.​

Have I missed anything?
Recommendations appreciated.

Never having done this kind of configuration before, this thread seems like a GREAT resource.

Many thanks.

I use the Dayton mic myself with a cheap Berhinger usb mic preamp/sound card. A year ago I treated myself with a nice Focusrite Scarlet mk2, what a disaster.... Because it uses a Xmos usb chip with a sepate dac and adc chip, timing was all over the place, especially when used at 44.1K samplerate.

sorry to bump an old thread, but I only found about this issue here and some very niche forums...
is there any decent quality sub 200$ usb interface that doesn't suffer from this kind of timing issues, I mean something better specs/preamps/quality than that cheap behringer?

care to explain the problem deeper in layman terms? does the timing error affect only the hypex software or even measurements done with ARTA/REW and the such with acoustic timing reference sync?
thank you

Last edited:
I've read through most of this thread, need to re read as I am must be missing something. I have entered some filters, but my line in the graph doesn't appear until I click on the dot, then it just shows that line.

Also, I am not sure if I have the configuration correct as I was hoping to bridge the 2 channels for the bass bin and use the tweeter for the tweeter. However, my channel only show 1 in and 1 out.

I already have pre sets to enter, just need to figure out how to do it correctly. Then go from there to fine tune it.

Thanks for any help.

Hi duder1982!

Your speaker graphs appears only if you measure your speakers with HFD directly or with external software and then import. That latter can be a bit tricky. Even you can use external measurement (e.g. REW) without import the graphs to HFD.

Are you really sure about the need of bridging?

Hi duder1982!

Your speaker graphs appears only if you measure your speakers with HFD directly or with external software and then import. That latter can be a bit tricky. Even you can use external measurement (e.g. REW) without import the graphs to HFD.

Are you really sure about the need of bridging?
YSDR

Thanks for responding, I guess when I said graph, I was talking about the frequency line that would "indicate " what my measurements would be in an ideal setting. For instance, when I add my filters and crossover setting in minidsp, I get a line that shows what projected responses should be.

Such as the example picture, when I get back home, I will post pictures of my situation.

As for bridging, I probably don't, just figured since I am not ready to add a tweeter (need to learn and understand the software before hand), I would use that channel instead of working around it or leaving it lay.

Thanks
View attachment 903022

Last edited:
Ok, apparently when in bridged mode, I only get one channel out? If I am only bridging channels 1 and 2, why wouldn't it show the channel 3 as a channel?

Even running 2 way for now, would it be better to leave a channel unused?

Attachments

• FA123 center.PNG
    FA123 center.PNG
    60.3 KB · Views: 272
Well, I have it working and some of the filters built, even the LR24 crossover. Its amazing how much you can learn by reading.

As to my question about the extra 3rd channel, I just have it muted.

Thanks for the guidance folks.

I still have alot to learn and understand with the software and really need to dial in the eq filters. But for now I get to use my center channel.

Last edited:
Again, reading the manual goes along way.

According to the manual on page 38, it states that the EQ on startup is within the input section prior to the individual channels. That being said, I would assume this is where I enter those input filters.
I have confirmed this by adding the manufacturer suggested filters and my center channel sounding better than it ever has. I am glad I made this purchase and may consider these amps for my mains.

Great product and can wait to play with it some more.

Ok, apparently when in bridged mode, I only get one channel out? If I am only bridging channels 1 and 2, why wouldn't it show the channel 3 as a channel?

Even running 2 way for now, would it be better to leave a channel unused?

I am not sure whether I understand your problem. In case you have a two-way speaker I would indeed bridge the amps unless you really do not need to power. Read the manual regarding bridging, you need to connect the woofer differently while doing this.