Setting up a Fusion Amp 3-way Step-by-Step

Asio4all gives me the same behavior. Somewhat random results, either no delay or a 10µs one. That's weird. I also noticed that HFD will output completely off results if I click to soon on "sum" after taking a measurement.

I wish HFD provided the option to autocalibrate in real time by using a loopback on a second channel. Iirc, there was a logiciel (not a freeware) that did that but the name escapes me.

Did some testing with the Behringer. Did it with a DLCP file, practical 6 channels.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.GIF
    1.GIF
    359.8 KB · Views: 1,574
  • 2.GIF
    2.GIF
    358.9 KB · Views: 1,570
  • 3.GIF
    3.GIF
    366.9 KB · Views: 1,547
  • 4.GIF
    4.GIF
    364.4 KB · Views: 1,541
  • 5.GIF
    5.GIF
    363.8 KB · Views: 1,532
Hi Danner, Nice work. There is an error on HFD User Guide regarding LR filters which you have copied. LR2 filter has Q=0.5, an LR4 filter also has Q=0.5 and is made by adding 2 Second Order filters with Q=0.7 (butterworth). Hypex have acknowledged the error but not corrected it yet.

Ref: Linkwitz–Riley filter - Wikipedia

LR filters with time aligned drivers is a great way to start with most speakers in my opinion.
Regards
Colin

Been away from base for a few days so will have to catch up with the all the info on setting up the Fusion amps / speakers. Many thanks to all for their input.

I unfortunately have recently purchased a Focusrite 2i2 and a mike pre amp totally unaware of the technical issues that produce timing errors. A waste of money making the fusion project more expensive.

I also have more work to do on the environment I have to use to correctly align the filter to a 3 way loudspeaker. How can existing users have completed this other than in Free space or an Anechoic chamber ? How do you get rid of reflections ?

I have still to look at the full tech spec of the fusion system to try and evaluate the performance of the DAC and at least compare the parameters against my current DAC.
I am also concerned about the A to D conversion of any analogue signals and what effect that may have on signal quality. I use a lot of vinyl as source material from a high quality system.

My reaction to my position is to wait until @ ds23man produces his official line up procedure in the next few months and make sure I am comfortable with my areas of concern before ordering an amp unit.

Last edited:
When you make measurements in HFD you also register the offset of the drivers. To do this correctly you need exact timing between the input and output. This only garanteed with a usb souncard/mic preamp which share the same clock. If you use an Umik, this relation does not exist and the simulated responces will be wrong.

Whats the connection will look like?
Fusion - usb - laptop
UMC22 - usb - laptop
UMC22 - analog into fusion

Is this correct?

The UM22 outputs max 0 dBu (0.775 V), see https://www.strumentimusicali.net/manuali/BEHRINGER_UMCSERIES_ENG.pdf .

The Fusion amp needs 18 dBu (6.15 V) on the XLR input and 9 dBu (2.18V) on the RCA input for full power. If you're using the XLR inputs, you can try using the RCA inputs or increase the Fusion amp gain with the jumper described on page 17 of the manual. It looks like you'll need to do both (RCA @ 2dBu / 0.98V) if you want more power from the fusion amp. Or use a preamp.

Last edited:
The UM22 outputs max 0 dBu (0.775 V), see https://www.strumentimusicali.net/manuali/BEHRINGER_UMCSERIES_ENG.pdf .

The Fusion amp needs 18 dBu (6.15 V) on the XLR input and 9 dBu (2.18V) on the RCA input for full power. If you're using the XLR inputs, you can try using the RCA inputs or increase the Fusion amp gain with the jumper described on page 17 of the manual. It looks like you'll need to do both (RCA @ 2dBu / 0.98V) if you want more power from the fusion amp. Or use a preamp.

Thanks mspijker, i only have gain problem while measuring with HFD.

I got sufficient gain with normal playback though. Im wondering whats the problem here.

Henry, I just ordered a pair of FA123s and a UMC22 but they haven't arrived yet. So I'm not writing from experience, just reading specs. :) How did you hook up the UM22 to the Fusion amps? What connection do you use for normal playback? Maybe ds23man has some good tips wrt HFD.

Laptop - usb - UM22
Um22 - XLR - Fusion
Laptop - usb - Fusion

Normal playback is
Laptop - usb - um22
Um22 - xlr - fusion