Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Setting up a Fusion Amp 3-way Step-by-Step
Setting up a Fusion Amp 3-way Step-by-Step
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2019, 04:42 PM   #11
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

^I tried that with UMIK (it works and accepted mic correction file too), but found it better to run REW in another window like Danner. I didn't even try automatic corrections.

I like to set only 1-2 biquads at the time and keep total number low. Fc, dB and Q value fine-tuning is easy. Many wiggles in on-axis response are interferences or reflections that get smoother off-axis.

"LiveUpdate" disappeared from new HFD and it didn't even work in the original.

I spent a month to try and set filters for a 3-way speakers, until giving them to my daughter. The beginning was difficult, because I am so accustomed to using minidsp products and manual is so unlogical. Daniel helped me a lot! I will update firmware tomorrow and do some more fine-tuning.

SEAS MR18 3-way

Thank you, Daniel!
Old 9th February 2019, 04:58 PM   #12
mspijker is offline mspijker  Canada
diyAudio Member

Gerhard, can you give us a description of one does measurements with HFD. Any recommendations for a microphone?

Last edited by mspijker; 9th February 2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10th February 2019, 08:40 AM   #13
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

When you make measurements in HFD you also register the offset of the drivers. To do this correctly you need exact timing between the input and output. This only garanteed with a usb souncard/mic preamp which share the same clock. If you use an Umik, this relation does not exist and the simulated responces will be wrong.
Old 10th February 2019, 09:44 AM   #14
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

IR gating of measurements is fixed in HFD measurements, it seems to be quite long or is it relative to cycles? What mic distance and height is recommended?

Measuring at home is difficult because of reflections, specially for the woofer and WM crossover slopes.Timing can be set also by playing two ways at the time and looking at summation and step response. The designer must decide what point of space (mic distance and height) is used as reference, because of trigonometry. 1m distance at tweeter height might be too close for a floorstander.
Old 10th February 2019, 11:01 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

You can do gating with the truncate button after you zoom in on the impulsrespons with pressing the mousewheel ( draws a box). See the HFD manual.
Old 10th February 2019, 04:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds23man View Post
When you make measurements in HFD you also register the offset of the drivers. To do this correctly you need exact timing between the input and output. This only garanteed with a usb souncard/mic preamp which share the same clock.
Can you give an example of such a sound card? What do you use yourself? Would even the built-in audio of a (decent) laptop work? These probably use a 1-chip ADC/DAC solution so it's almost guaranteed that the DAC & ADC run on the same clock. My HP laptop has a Realtek ALC3227 audio chip. The ASIO control panel reports: 32-bit ADC & DAC @ 44.1..192 kHz for line I/O and 44.1..96 kHz for the mic input.

As for a (non-usb) microphone, can you suggest a brand/model? How about the Dayton Audio EMM-6? With a phantom power supply it seems to come to a similar price as the UMIK-1.
Old 10th February 2019, 04:41 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I use the Dayton mic myself with a cheap Berhinger usb mic preamp/sound card. A year ago I treated myself with a nice Focusrite Scarlet mk2, what a disaster.... Because it uses a Xmos usb chip with a sepate dac and adc chip, timing was all over the place, especially when used at 44.1K samplerate.
Old 10th February 2019, 05:36 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I use the Dayton mic myself with a cheap Berhinger usb mic preamp/sound card.

Something like the Behringer UM2/UMC22? Is an ADC sample rate of 96 kHz or 192 kHz an advantage for HFD? Or is 48 kHz good enough?
Old 10th February 2019, 06:00 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

48K is good enough.
Old 10th February 2019, 06:45 PM   #20
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I use the Dayton mic myself with a cheap Berhinger usb mic preamp/sound card. A year ago I treated myself with a nice Focusrite Scarlet mk2, what a disaster.... Because it uses a Xmos usb chip with a sepate dac and adc chip, timing was all over the place, especially when used at 44.1K samplerate.
What was the problem exactly ? The focusrite is using the CS4272 which includes both ADC and DAC, with a common master clock.

Your post worries me a bit as I'm planning to use a 18i8 for some speakers measurements.

Setting up a Fusion Amp 3-way Step-by-StepHide this!Advertise here!