Class D amplifier - DIY modules recomendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I would like to buy 2 Class D amplifier modules (just the pcb with components) to drive the following speakers:

Woofer

220w RMS
440w PEAK
2ohm
38Hz – 1.8kHz

HF Driver
35w AES
8ohm
1.9k-20kHz

What are your recomendations in terms of already assembled boards that I could buy for these speakers?

thank you so much
best regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I would like to buy 2 Class D amplifier modules (just the pcb with components) to drive the following speakers:
Woofer
220w RMS
440w PEAK
2ohm
38Hz – 1.8kHz
HF Driver
35w AES
8ohm
1.9k-20kHz
What are your recomendations in terms of already assembled boards that I could buy for these speakers?

It is probably the amplifier for the woofer - 300W in 2 Ohm - that puzzles most of us.
As a good amplifier for the HF driver (35W/8Ohm) I can propose a TPA3250 based amplifier. High quality sound.
300W in 2 Ohm means high current levels. For car audio this is trivial, for HIFI/audiophile use much less. Perhaps a IRS2092 based amplifier with low impedance switches. Or, if you can find a TPA3255 based mono board with PBTL coupling.
You are not afraid of a sound-level imbalance with such a powerful woofer?

Last edited:
You are not afraid of a sound-level imbalance with such a powerful woofer?

Hi, thank you so much for your help.

Unfortunatly it's the speakers I have, they are JBL EON 315 (PA/Stage monitor speakers) that have failled amps. those amps are crappy and prone to failure so I ditch them, and will power the speakers from a DIY Class-D amp assembled with modules.

The woofer in these JBL EON 315 is model JBL M115-2 rated at 220w RMS at 2ohms.
So I guess I need to find a class D module that is able to work at 2ohms, can't seem to find one

table { }td { padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; color: black; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }

Hi,
I will suggest you to look at the modules from Sure Electronics and 3e Audio. With the power you need for the woofer, I will recommend you to buy from manufacturers that are known for more solid designs.
The Sure Electronics pdf document includes in the beginning an overview of their boards. Here it is easy to find a board for your needs.
TPA3250 boards (without chassis) are more rare but 3e Audio has that.
Personally, I have none of these boards because I chose to settle with a significant lower power level my wife accepts.
Sure Electronics' webstore Mono Series
http://sure-electronics.net/Sure%20Electronics%20Audio%20Amplifier%20Product%20Manual.pdf
TPA3255-1CH-480W | 3e Audio
TPA3250-2CH-50W | 3e Audio

Last edited:
Hi,
thank you so much for the links.
The Sure store has a lot of offerings, nice to know.
On the website is a bit hard to search for a specific amplifier module but the pdf you sent really helps on that.

I selected 2 amps that work at 2ohms for the woofer,

what do you think of these?

This one seems to have the right power but THD seems a bit high at 300w:

TAS56XX Series 1 X 300 Watt 2 Ohm Class D Audio Amplifier Board TAS5613
AA-AB31191

http://store3.sure-electronics.com/1-x-300-watt-class-d-audio-amplifier-board-tas5613

or this one, has more power but will less less THD at 220W:

http://store3.sure-electronics.com/1-x-600-watt-2-ohm-class-d-audio-amplifier-board-tas5630

1x600w
Output Power

600W@2Ohm 48V DC THD+N 10%

350W@2Ohm 48V DC THD+N 1%

For the HF Drivers, this amp seems good enough,
I saw the amps at 3e-audio, they look pretty good but the "Buy it Now" button doesn't work, so I can't see the price, it seems theres something wrong with the website

STA5XX Series2 X 100 Watt 4 Ohm Class D Audio Amplifier Board -STA508(AA-AB32186

Sure Electronics' webstore 2 X 100W Class D Audio Amplifier Combo Kit w MW 24V 200W Power Supply STA508

Hi Bwaslo,
thank you so much for your recomendation, although the price is much higher than the Sure options.

Well maybe the quality is much better than the Sure product, I'm just a newbie on this stuff, also the PSU is included but even with an external PSU the Sure untis are 1/3 the price of the IEC

Thank you

Hi,

I selected 2 amps that work at 2ohms for the woofer,

what do you think of these?

Of those I would prefer a TAS5630 based amplifier to a TAS5613 based amplifier simply because the TAS5630 chip has more power reserves and presumably better power handling stability.
When you pull 300W in 2 Ohm from a single chip amplifier the currents are (very) high and stability is an important issue.
I would worry less about still good THD levels because it is for a woofer that will not reproduce much of the higher frequencies from eventual amplifier distortion and how much distortion do you think your woofer will contribute with at that power level?
I guess you do it for the bass "kick" rather than the subtle sound.

I can do maximum 2x100W (8 Ohm) with any of my amplifiers so I have no experience at that power level.

No, I cannot get to the prices either. I tried with both my Linux machines and my wifes Win10. No reaction.
But, Ebay: TPA3255 1x480W 1Ch Class D Audio Amplifier | eBay
Illogical that you cannot get to their own web-shop. The Ebay price seems fair.

DOES ANYONE ELSE KNOW HOW TO SHOP AT 3E AUDIO?

Hi my friend

here is/was a group buy...
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/309813-wrong-tpa3255-70.html#post5657613

i guess contact him for more informations

chris

Check if the woofer uses 2 coils like in the JBL EON 15 G2 .

Could the speaker put out more then half power when the bass was not cut?
Does it need to be as loud as it was before? As half power is only less then 3dB less output.

Hello Think,
thank you so much for your message.

I'm sorry but I'm a newbie when it comes to this...

How can I check if the speaker uses 2 coils?

"Could the speaker put out more then half power when the bass was not cut?
Does it need to be as loud as it was before? As half power is only less then 3dB less output."

I'm sorry could you please rephrase this or explain it for dummies?

thank you so much

No problem: does the woofer have double + and - connections? So 4 instead of 2 terminals to connect wires coming from the amp to.

The speaker has a bass cut option for use as vocal monitor or pa top. It could well be that you can only get full power from it when this function is on and it does not play bass.

Just consider if you ever used all the specified watts. When used in full range 100W might already be more then enough; more then you ever use or even more then technically possible. (the woofer can handle)

No problem: does the woofer have double + and - connections? So 4 instead of 2 terminals to connect wires coming from the amp to.

No, just 2 terminals, I opened it up and checked that

The speaker has a bass cut option for use as vocal monitor or pa top. It could well be that you can only get full power from it when this function is on and it does not play bass.

No, you always get the full power.
Low cut is on the mic input of the preamp, it has nothing to do with the power amp

Just consider if you ever used all the specified watts. When used in full range 100W might already be more then enough; more then you ever use or even more then technically possible. (the woofer can handle)

LOLOLOL
Mate this is a Sound Reinforcement speaker, for Live PA or Live floor monitor.
100 watts is nothing in the sound reinforcement world.
The rating of 350watts of the JBL Eon 315 is already on the Low side for a small PA.

For example this is a standard Floor monitor (wedge) that I use all the time in concerts, and it's a standard in the industry:

Martin Audio LE1500
RATED POWER (2)

FR/LF: 600W AES, 2400W peak

HF: 80W AES, 320W peak

RECOMMENDED AMPLIFIER 800-1500W into 4 ohms

https://martin-audio.com/downloads/archive/datasheets/LE1500datasheet.pdf

Vocalists get 2x LE1500 in front of them, Drummers also get 2

Thanks for your help, I'm being honest I really appreciate it, but bear in mind that Power used in Sound Reinforcement is not the same as in Hi Fi systems.

Thanks once more

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.