IRS2092 Recent Failures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We have been building a specialized version of the IR IRS2092PBF amplifier for about four years without much issue. Last October, we began having a high failure rate of the IRFB4019 FETs. Thinking that we might have gotten a bad batch, I sourced 3500 pieces from each of two of our suppliers one morning, but by evening, they were all gone. We were able to locate 75 pieces but had to wait about 2 months before any showed up in distribution.

Changing the FETs appeared to resolve the issue for a while, but then we began having a higher than normal failure rate for the flyback diodes.

I suspect that it MAY have some relation to IR selling out to Infineon (China).

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I got caught out with some irfp4227's cheap from China.
They blew up very easily.
So I got some from RS and never had any problems after that.

Could be the mosfets have a wider spread on characteristics now and maybe you are getting shoot through which blows them up ?

Noise on the rails could cause a problem, make sure the rails are well decoupled.

I bought in some cheap transistors and the first time I unplugged my soldering iron the glitch on the mains blew them up.
Again, bought some from RS and couldn't blow them up despite trying very hard.

So I got some from RS and never had any problems after that.

Is RS a distributor in the UK or a manufacturer? It appears that the irfp4227s are only manufactured by IR(which is now Infineon out of China).

I bought in some cheap transistors and the first time I unplugged my soldering iron the glitch on the mains blew them up.
Again, bought some from RS and couldn't blow them up despite trying very hard.

DANG!!! Those are some SENSITIVE transistors! Either that or your supply filters are very bad.

nigelwright7557,

Based on some of your other posts on the subject of Class D amps and particularly IRS2092-based amps, it sounds like you have some experience with these.

Are you using your own layouts?

Have you tried any of the inexpensive IRS2092 500w mono channel boards found on the internet which look like this...
attachment.php

Thanks

Attachments

• 61PKw2mKrRL._AC_UL436_.jpg
    61PKw2mKrRL._AC_UL436_.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 232
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.