TPA 3116D2 2x50W+100WSUB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
amp - Album on Imgur
Hi so this is the amp that I am dealing with.
Here is the problem where I dont have the solution.
On the bottom part of the picture you can see orange inductors.
Now the thing with them is that when my sound system is idling so no signal it draws 0.2AMPS of power and wastes it into heat.
My question is what do those inductors do other than causing heat and if I change them will I remove that problem since I am making a portable boombox and I cant allow that kind of waste energy.
Also if I can change them how to find the right part for that particular system

Hi Luka,
All chokes have losses, more or less.
I have some chokes with such yellow/green-ish cores and they have very high losses. It is very likely you bring down the losses (and heat) if you change those chokes.
Which ones to choose? Suitable values can be found in the datasheet for the TPA3116. In section 7.3.15 of the datasheet 10uH/680nF is recommended for the filter. When looking at the photo it seems the board has 1uF filter capacitors. With 10uH chokes the cut-off frequency doesn't change much. I suggest you use 10uH chokes that can stand at least 7A without saturation.
Then the difficult question, which choke cores? The choke cores are determining the power losses (heat) and they should be toroidal such that you can fit them in the board instead of those initially used.
I am no expert in cores but we have other forum members who know a lot about different types.
Sagami makes good chokes but they are rather expensive and not toroidal (I believe).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.