Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

best sound quality class D ic ?
best sound quality class D ic ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2018, 12:05 AM   #1
nickthevoice is offline nickthevoice  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default best sound quality class D ic ?

Hi !

Anybody know what's the best class D IC model for hi-fi sound quality ?

Is it possible for an audiophile to go into class D without pain?

because I try only one time to compare LM3886 high quality parts amplifier VS TDA7498 and it was simply horrible !!!

thanks in advance

nicK

Last edited by nickthevoice; 28th November 2018 at 12:14 AM.
Old 28th November 2018, 01:20 AM   #2
zeroFILL is offline zeroFILL
diyAudio Member

Can you show your TDA7498 board? I think TDA7498 itself is not very bad, but the sound quality mostly depends on other components around it, so the sound quality is maybe different even with boards come from the same manufactures.

IMHO, if audiophiles can accept CD, DSD... then they can accept Class D amplifiers, it's the matter of time

Last edited by zeroFILL; 28th November 2018 at 01:34 AM.
Old 28th November 2018, 11:31 AM   #3
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthevoice View Post
Hi !

Anybody know what's the best class D IC model for hi-fi sound quality ?

Is it possible for an audiophile to go into class D without pain?

because I try only one time to compare LM3886 high quality parts amplifier VS TDA7498 and it was simply horrible !!!

thanks in advance
nicK

You use the word "best" which makes it impossible to give an unambiguous reply. TPA325X chips are very good. Probably one of the best suggestions for monolithic class D. TDA7498 and TDA7498E can sound fine when modified correctly. T-minik is audiophile and did the work with a fine result.
Subjective? - absolutely.
Old 28th November 2018, 12:05 PM   #4
abraxalito is online now abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
TPA3255 is indeed a good choice but if you're after the best subjective SQ you won't get it from the datasheet application circuit. There's insufficient decoupling on the signal processing supply line. Same applies to TDA8932 which when implemented in an optimized circuit blows the socks off all other chipamps I've heard. But its rather limited in power output. I use my TDA8932 implementation as my desktop amp, its reference grade, no kidding.
Old 28th November 2018, 03:18 PM   #5
denbret is offline denbret  Canada
diyAudio Member

As mentioned above, the TPA325x are excellent.

Not any PCB. Those TI (PCB eval) or as mine 3e-audio on Ebay (TPA3251 is not longer available, but the TPA3255 is available).

Last edited by denbret; 28th November 2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 28th November 2018, 03:31 PM   #6
kartino is offline kartino  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Tripath is the best class D chip
Old 28th November 2018, 03:51 PM   #7
jimk04 is offline jimk04  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have 5 channels of 3e Audio d class. The 2 channel 3255 for front and the 3 channel 3251 for rear and centre.

The 3 channel 3251 still available but not the 2. All 3255 available (2 channel and mono).

I really like them. Silent at idle in my set up. Bit of turn on pop. Great amps which seem much more thought about than the rest of the cheaper Chinese boards.

I do have a cheap 7498 but not the cheapest and that does sound good. Stock unmodified.

And the 3e audio amps to the UK in about a week. Not a month or 2!

My brother is an audiophile whom like spending vast money has just bought a new amp that is class d. Jeff Rowland Continuum 2.Pascal modules I think

Last edited by jimk04; 28th November 2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 28th November 2018, 10:36 PM   #8
horst303 is offline horst303  Australia
diyAudio Member

It also pays to step back sometimes and look at the whole picture, and the reality nowadays is that amps are pretty much perfect, they might not sound the same, but if you were to walk into a room with some music playing you would not be able to pick the topology of the amp, maybe you could listening to two amps side by side, but if you need an A-B comparison test then I would suggest that the difference are so small that it renders them irrelevant.

I got one of those TPA7250 amps out of curiosity, and it sounds amazing, but so do the TPA3116's that I have a bundle of, is there a difference? maybe, but it is far from obvious.
And I have better things to do then find a particular cymbal crash on a particular record that will reveal a difference.
My priorities now are, how much background hiss is there, how much headroom, and then maybe clarity, I can clearly tell the difference between the $2.50 PAM8610, and a $10 TPA3116, and after $10 things become a lot more difficult. What precisely do you think you're missing out on, that you know for sure just isn't just in your mind?
Old 28th November 2018, 11:01 PM   #9
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horst303 View Post
.... TPA7250.....

TPA7250 -> TDA7250? If so, it is a class AB driver IC.
Old 28th November 2018, 11:06 PM   #10
horst303 is offline horst303  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
TPA7250 -> TDA7250? If so, it is a class AB driver IC.
oops I meant TPA3250

best sound quality class D ic ?Hide this!Advertise here!